Not linked to pressure switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anbody advise.
I have had probs with a Potterton Suprima, over the last week. I had a plumber come out and fix it. It took him 20 mins and I paid hourly rate - no prob and it all worked He then phoned me up 15 mins later to say he noticed the pressure switch was not linked, could he come back. He then said he needed to order a flow switch and said he could not leave me with any gas for the weekend.

This is a boiler that was fitted by Britsh Gas 2 years ago. Does this sound correct, does it need doing??

Any advise would be welcome

Luke

Sponsored Links
Surely if the flow switch wasn't working the boiler couldn't fire ...... unless he did some jiggery-pokery to it.

No corgi has the authority to turn off the gas to any appliance without the householders permission.

Lukechap said:
the pressure switch was not linked, could he come back. He then said he needed to order a flow switch

I know exactly what he's done, probably

The flow switch is wired in series with the APS, he's simply linked out the flow switch.

Boiler works

Now realising what he's done, may not be correct......

Providing you have no plastic pipework in the house, there is no real need for the flow switch.

Sponsored Links
But it is a saftey interlock so he has come to his senses and done the right thing. never knew the Suprimas had a flow switch...........unless the higher output ones do ive never seen one?

He said that when he come to fix my boiler of which he did. He notciced the flow thingy had been bypassed. When he went away, he phoned manufacturer who said the flow thingy should not be bypassed. He seemed concientious and is coming back on Monday with part he ordered as he said it was not safe for him to leave it - but surely this should have not been done when Britsh Gas installed 2 yrs ago. Or would standards have changed.? Or should I be chasing British Gas

HarrogateGas said:
But it is a saftey interlock so he has come to his senses and done the right thing. never knew the Suprimas had a flow switch...........unless the higher output ones do ive never seen one?

The 30 doesn't I don't think, 40 and above do.

The reason why the flow switch has been linked out is because the flow and returns are crossed........ Probably :idea:

poxi said:
The reason why the flow switch has been linked out is because the flow and returns are crossed........ Probably :idea:

or maybe it packed up!!! i seen this a lot with british gas, they wont spend money on parts, dont do services properly either.

Cheers for reply lads.
I realise I was let down at the start by British Gas. Just to let you know they were meant to arrive between 12 -18hrs yesterday and never arrived !! - I shall be pursuing this one.
The lad who came out from independent firm seemed very good and concientious.

Luke

I thought the flow switch kits were an optional extra for systems using plastic pipe and not required otherwise. I can't really see any need for it.

chaps said:
poxi said:

or maybe it packed up!!! i seen this a lot with british gas, they wont spend money on parts, dont do services properly either.

Don't do services at all chaps unless paid for as a stand alone, carry out a safety check as approved by corgi.....last week most bg engineers were parts changers, this week they don't buy parts :rolleyes:

There are safety devices and safety devices. You wouldn't cut off and slap labels on a Puma if the water pressure switch failed and someone had disconnected it - a common occurrence

Your Suprima with the FS disconnected is as safe as one of its earlier brothers which didn't have them fitted. If there's no flow, they overheat and switch off. Yes I'd insist it had to be replaced, but I certainly wouldn't leave you cold for a weekend.

AN "At Risk" would get you a sticker, but the boiler still functioning.

OK that's technically wrong - so sue me.

(Reminds me of a chap who had a cooker with one hob ring never converted to Natural Gas in the 70's, so it gave a flame a foot high. He didn't use that one. I said it was "Immediately Dangerous" - he said he'd had an awful lot of Dangerous Dinners, then :LOL: .)

To be fair your guy sounds pretty consciencous but he is in for a world of hurt. I'm going to do an Agile here and make a few assumptions but as poxi has already said your flow and returns will be crossed as per the original installation to to save cash for you and keep it all tidy they would have been left and the flow switch bypassed as was ok'd at the time. When your guy comes back he will find his replacement won't work and also that the original was ok and that he will have to drain the system and mess the pipework up to give you no additional benefit at all......as long as it's not in plastic!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back