Not load bearing, but anything else?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

looking for a bit of advice,

I have a 2 story, 1 room wide dettached house (3 up, 3 down), and want to remove an internal wall between the 2 back rooms.

this will be removed from floor to roof, and runs inline with the joists.

I have already removed one wall like this to open up the stairs so i know these are not load bearing.

Do internal single skin wall have any other effects on the structure?

im thinking maybe to tie in the external walls from bowing? or are the external walls strong enough for the roof without any internal wall support.

Thanks in advance,

Drew

Sponsored Links
Some provide lateral support to external walls against wind..
Others can support just the roof..

I have already removed one wall like this to open up the stairs so i know these are not load bearing.
I hope the wall was second floor to roof..

Anyways.. sounds like the house is long and narrow.. so the cross walls may well be lateral ones.. are these walls stud walls and the externals brick/block?

But to answer your question a structural engineer can give you a definite answer and suggested solution if they are a problem..

Sponsored Links
It was going to be from ground to roof (or roof to ground),

It is long and narrow house, but there has been a small 2 story extension built on the side of the house for a front door and toilet, Im hoping this has given extra strength to the building

the internal walls are brick, and the external is cavity double brick. (1900 - 1910 build)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back