Notching Floor Joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know its not best practice and maybe even bad practice but will the below be ok in an isolated instance.

8"x2" 1st floor joist spanning approximately 1.5m from a chimney breast to the front of the house. It runs parallel with the external side wall and i need to run a conduit down the centre of the wall and into the floor void. The wall sits on top of the joist so i would like to bring the conduit down onto the joist and then into the floor void at a 45 angle.

This will mean notching 30mm deep 60mm long through half of the joist at a 45 angle meaning the amount of material being removed is minimal.

Given the amount of material being cut out and the length of the span is this acceptable?

Sponsored Links
not quite grasping what you are saying but assuming its an angled slot on the top 30mm deep then yes it will be fine where ever it is as on that span you would probably be fine with 4x1" but you are infact leaving nearer 6.5x2" untouched

Thanks that's exactly what i am after doing. Taking 30mm out of the top of the joist over a small section to allow 2 conduits to pass over.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back