Nothing like the glory days of the past - Roaming charges are back

Status
Not open for further replies.
As usual the partial 'truth' from mottie...

NETWORKS themselves that are charging for roaming...

EE
Sky Mobile
Three
Vodaphone
VOXI

And they make up the majority of mobile users!

O2 is the only one out of the 'big four' to not charge.
Sky mobile and VOXI are not 'networks' you pillock.

Call them what you like, whatever 'network' you’re on, you can get a better deal on an MVNO using the same network infrastructure that DOES allow European roaming in your included package. They've tried to jump on the "we’ve got to charge you because of Brexit" bandwagon and have shot themselves in the foot. Not been noticed the last few years because of the lack of European travellers from the U.K. due to covid and transport problems but wait until travel gets back into full swing, they’ll all suddenly find that they can give free roaming.

Sorry for bringing disappointment to all you bitter remainers.

Sponsored Links
Call them what you like, whatever 'network' you’re on, you can get a better deal on an MVNO using the same network infrastructure that DOES allow European roaming in your included package.
It still means that the majority of users are paying roaming charges...

And most of the roaming free deals are for existing users only.
(best you read the small print, you pillock!)

But wasn't it one of the claims about brexit that there would be no roaming charges at all?

Of course it was, and like everything else about brexit a complete lie!

It still means that the majority of users are paying roaming charges...
More fool them. Probably the same lazy people that pay an apathy tax for not bothering to change insurance companies at renewal. Can’t help some people.

But wasn't it one of the claims about brexit that there would be no roaming charges at all?
I thought it was the other way - remainers saying that when we leave, we'd all be hit with roaming charges.

33877210-F7CD-4CA4-BDAB-210037A969C5.jpeg

Yep. They decided to charge so I left 'Three'. I went 'somewhere else' and got free roaming - on the Thrre network infrastructure and I didn’t have to 'try' too hard either. So have many others I know. Sorry to disappoint. (Not really). :mrgreen:

And I predicted it wouldn’t happen
Mottie is wrong again.

2nd July 2022

Roaming charges are back after Brexit – beware high mobile bills​

Giffgaff and Tesco have joined EE, Sky Mobile, Three and Vodafone in making contract changes

Almost all the big mobile phone companies, including EE, Sky Mobile, Three and Vodafone have reintroduced EU roaming charges, with giffgaff and Tesco Mobile the latest names to announce contract changes.

Giffgaff has told its customers that from 26 July they can only use up to 5GB of data a month in the EU. Above that level they will be charged 10p a MB. In a post on its website, the company blamed the move on the connection charges incurred when people roam in the EU

Sponsored Links
Mottie is wrong again.

2nd July 2022

Roaming charges are back after Brexit – beware high mobile bills​

Giffgaff and Tesco have joined EE, Sky Mobile, Three and Vodafone in making contract changes

Almost all the big mobile phone companies, including EE, Sky Mobile, Three and Vodafone have reintroduced EU roaming charges, with giffgaff and Tesco Mobile the latest names to announce contract changes.

Giffgaff has told its customers that from 26 July they can only use up to 5GB of data a month in the EU. Above that level they will be charged 10p a MB. In a post on its website, the company blamed the move on the connection charges incurred when people roam in the EU

Notch clutching at possible Brexit bad-news straws. Again!

1. I never mentioned Giffgaff but in any case, their calls are included and their data will be restricted to 5Gb so no problem there for 99.9999999999999% of their users.
2. I can only assume that your Tesco is different from mine in the same way as your Sainsbury is different from mine what with all those 'empty' shelves you see on yours due to Brexit. :rolleyes:
Looksie:
77646DD5-FDC1-4693-B752-9F05A8052C56.jpeg

You'll note that I didn’t add EE, Sky mobile, Vodafone or Three in my list but gave MVNO's on those networks that do.

Nice try but no cigar.

Top tip. When you see a potential bad-news Brexit headline, calm down, take a breath, count to ten and then read carefully and digest the story behind the headline BEFORE gleefully posting the link.

Tell me what network and plan you are on and I’ll point you in the direction of a MVNO that will offer you free EU roaming on that network if you’re that troubled by the possibility of increasing your EU holiday by a couple of quid.

Notch clutching at possible Brexit bad-news straws. Again!

1. I never mentioned Giffgaff but in any case, their calls are included and their data will be restricted to 5Gb so no problem there for 99.9999999999999% of their users.
2. I can only assume that your Tesco is different from mine in the same way as your Sainsbury is different from mine what with all those 'empty' shelves you see on yours due to Brexit. :rolleyes:
Looksie:
View attachment 274749

You'll note that I didn’t add EE, Sky mobile, Vodafone or Three in my list but gave MVNO's on those networks that do.

Nice try but no cigar.

Top tip. When you see a potential bad-news Brexit headline, calm down, take a breath, count to ten and then read carefully and digest the story behind the headline BEFORE gleefully posting the link.

Tell me what network and plan you are on and I’ll point you in the direction of a MVNO that will offer you free EU roaming on that network if you’re that troubled by the possibility of increasing your EU holiday by a couple of quid.
Mottie claimed roaming charges haven’t been reintroduced.

They have

Mottie is wrong

Mottie claimed roaming charges haven’t been reintroduced.

They have

Mottie is wrong

No. I said this:

So, to recap so far:
O2 are no not charging for roaming
Virgin Mobile on the O2 Network are not charging for roaming
Smarty on the 'Three' network are not charging for roaming
ID mobile on the 'Three' netweork are not charging for roaming
Lebara on the Vodafone network are not charging for roaming
Asda Mobile on the Vodafone network are not charging for roaming
Tesco mobile on the O2 network are not charging for roaming
BT mobile on the EE network are not charging for roaming
Plusnet mobile on the EE network are not charging for roaming.
Talkmobile on the Vodafone network are not charging for roaming
Etc Etc. Etc.

Stop making things up.

Im off up to Sainsburys in a bit. Let me know what is missing from the shelves in your supermarket due to Brexit and I’ll check stock at my end. (y)

Last edited:
just back after being in spain using EE and tesco mobiles no roaming charges at all. Never cost me a penny more .

No. I said this:

Stop making things up.

Im off up to Sainsburys in a bit. Let me know what is missing from the shelves in your supermarket due to Brexit and I’ll check stock at my end. (y)
Mottie admits things were better when we were an EU member.

Tesco are allowing included roaming for 2022, but charging from January 1st.

This is of course completely unrelated to leaving the EU.

In other news the average data usage was 4.5gb a month in 2020. The average has been rising every year.

That does vary a lot with network, 3 users were closer to 20GB a month apparently.

When we were in the EU, the networks were banned from charging for roaming in the EU. Now we have left, they can charge if they want to. Note: if they want to, not 'must charge'. Obviously, with O2 and numerous MVNO's offering inclusive roaming in the EU, all those that feel they need to have that option will move to one of those MVNO's that piggyback off of their existing network. It will reach a point where those major networks see their business being lost to others and decide that they can offer inclusive roaming after all! Watch this space. Those that don't need or want inclusive EU roaming can just stay where they are. It’s really no big deal and nobody needs to feel they are ‘losing out' with their inclusive EU roaming despite the stories of woe from Notch.

So the loons shouted it down as scaremongering and projec fear but o2 just announced the return of roaming charges.
…and the rest followed. Just one year later O2 has scrapped roaming charges - not from the goodness of their heart but a calculated business decision. What do you think the other networks will do? Hmm. Let me think….. :unsure:

…and the rest followed. Just one year later O2 has scrapped roaming charges - not from the goodness of their heart but a calculated business decision. What do you think the other networks will do? Hmm. Let me think….. :unsure:
In terms of subscribers it's worth remembering the scale of some of these companies being mentioned.

More than half the UKs mobile users are, or soon will be, subject to roaming charges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back