Novice needing advise about getting a new shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Right...I'm about to rip out my old bathroom suite and replace it with a nice new one (with my dad's help). At the moment I have a basic bath/shower mixer which is broke and only works on the shower setting (baths take a while to fill up using the shower I can tell ya). So I am looking to replace this. I'd considered an electric shower but it would have to be opposite end to the taps which is not what I want and haven't got the funds to go about turning the bath around. I also considered a mixer but don't want to go digging out the walls. So after much consideration i've decided either to replace my bath/shower mixer with a thermostatic version or get a ceiling fed mixer which I must admit look nicer.

However....I have a gravity fed system where the base of the cold take is probably only 1-1.5 metres above the shower head so it's quite low pressure.

My questions are:

1) will a low pressure (minimum 0.1 bar) thermostatic bath/shower mixer generate the same flow as my old manual mixer or will restrictions in the body reduce that. At the moment my manual shower is passable.

2) what are the ceiling fed showers like? I know i'd have to run pipes from the hot and cold water but will I get a better shower?

In all honesty I probably need a shower pump but I don't have the funds to pay someone to fit it and I would have no chance.

Any advice you can offer about bath/shower mixers or ceiling fed showers or any other for that matter would be much appreciated. I'm stuck knowing what to do, I don't want to buy a shower and it doens't work after fitting it. My manual mixer works ok so i'm basing my assumptions on that working as an indication that the thermostatic varietys should work the same.

Thanks

Mark

Sponsored Links
The triton Jute celing fed thermostatic mixer specifies it can produce 6.2 litres per minute at 0.1 bar gravity fed.

Is that ok? I'm not after a power shower just a regular everyday shower.

bump
Anyone?

Ouch! Careful fella, you ok??

Seriously though, go for a wall mounted thermostatic shower, using wall plates, if the jobs dont well, it can look really nice. For example these here. You just screw theminto the wall, fit the pipes into it and wala!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BAR-SHOWER-MI..._Bathroom_Shower_Units_PP&hash=item2ea845077e

Or you could get a thermostatic shower mixer tap. I fitted one a while back and works a treat, like these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STR8-Thermost..._Bathroom_Shower_Units_PP&hash=item3f01cfe042

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/REEF-THERMOST...e_Garden_Bathroom_Taps_PP&hash=item27b3cf2097

regards

Naz

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Just Don`t get an Archkiteckt one :LOL: :LOL: allegedly - according to 2 posters here :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back