Novice trying to cement in a gate post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Apologies in advance, I'm a novice with a job to be done that doesn't look like it'll get done by a builder anytime soon, so any help and advice gratefully received

I need a new post for my front gate that I have just had sandblasted and painted. The post is rotten. It was attached to the wall with a couple of screws, it has previously been cemented into the path.

the post is 3" x 3", is this a standard size for timber, that I can find easily enough?

Would I be better drilling holes and attaching the new post to the wall with screws or cementing the post into the hole that already exists? or both?

Thanks for any help and advice

Sponsored Links
3x3" is a common size for budget fenceposts. Treat the top and bottom edges especially thoroughly with wood preserver (not the same thing as stain)

You can fix it to the wall. If this is the hinged side, the wall will support the weight better, and is not so prone to banging. If you have access to the other side of the wall you can use bolts or studding (cheaper) which gives a better fixing. I use stainless studding and nuts for this kind of outdoor work, you can order them cut to size for the thickness of your wall plus post. Screws will eventually come loose.

If the post is in contact with the ground or concrete, it will rot quite quickly. Space it 100-200mm above ground because of rain splashing up. You can put a cap on the top.

Sponsored Links
If you order studding cut to size don't forget to allow for the nuts and washers at each end.

That was an expensive lesson one of our apprentices learnt a few years ago.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back