now "tuning" my CH/HW system. but still some boili

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been experimenting with my system some more.

I have a potterton suprima 40L boiler in a 3-bed flat with 7 radiators, one of which is currently out-of-circuit. The CH and HW are on separate zone-valves. I emptied the old water out of it and filled it with new (plus fernox inhibitor & wickes leakseal) last night. filled the rads, and ran it up for a couple hours:

The suprima has a heat control knob which I set to minimum (but not clicked off), and I had the pump at speed-3 (its maximum). rads got plenty hot, and the system seemed to reach steady-state without problems. The ventpipe was pouring "spent" (hot but not scalding) water back into the F&E tank quite fast though (kettling?); the tank was steaming, probably water at about 60-70 C. obviously undesirable.

I turned the pump to min.speed and this stopped the kettling, but after a while the boiler started grinding, I think it was boiling coolant,
I feel this is because the coolant is becoming stationary - spending too much time in the boiler before passing out to the rads???

I also get the feeling the system was installed a bit bodgily. grey plastic Hep' pipes are in use around the boiler (copper everywhere else), and my gut feeling is that the boiler power output is too high for the system.
I was also surprised that even at boiler heat control at min, the rads are still VERY hot. could it be the heat control is bust? should there be thermostatic action in the boiler?
"curioser and curioser"... I don't want the system kettling with the pump at max, but I cant seem to avoid this without making the bastard boil!!

Help & comments are very much appreciated - and Thank You all very much for the help so far. I've got to say this is the best use of the www I have seen yet!

Sponsored Links
Does sounds like your boiler is overheating and therefore water heat expansion back to the f&e tank,so could be your boiler stat playing up and have a look to see if any built-up of dusts inside with the mains supply off.You would also be better off to put the pump on maximum speed (3) as this will speed up the water rate going thru' the boiler which should slow down the overheating.Also check the motorized valve is operating freely,if it only slighty open,that could also back pressurized water back to the f&e tank.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back