now What???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi me again, i'm probably just worrying because it seems to be one thing after another but , i had a pilot light problem and following advise found here i had the thermocouple replaced which solved the problem, now i've got bumping and rattling what is ccausing this????? thanks janine

Sponsored Links
Pump not working is the most likely.

Have you also checked the water in the header tank.

pump... great, which is the header tank and when you say check you mean check theres water in it?? :confused:

The bumping and banging is lack of circulation.#

Either the pumps not working, the system is full of sludge, or there's no water innit.

Some details on the make and model of the boiler, and a few system details would help.

Sponsored Links
Also if the thermostate on the boiler was up to full could this cause bumping and rattling??? thanks for your time :) janine

the bolier is a glow worm fuelsaver mk11. you say its a circulation problem, when the thermocouple was changed a leak was found and a valve was tightened up to stop it. could that have any thing to do with it.?? :confused: thankyou janine

If the thermostat was duff or not inserted properly it would.

Has it been moved when they changed the thermocouple.

I'm not sure if it was moved but i'll look in to it. thanks again for your advice, v helpful :D janine

ok, up to know i have not been witness to the bumping and rattling. now i have and this is what happens, after abt an hour the boiler casing began to rattle, the flame visible through the pilot window changes shape and colour, this last a matter of seconds and the boiler goes back to normal, everything seems to be functioning properly, hot water is being directed to the cistern and the thermostate is working fine. the hot water tap had just been running before it happened. do you think the rattling and flame changing is a problem. hope you can shed some light on this. if any light needs sheding on it. :confused: janine

the bolier is a glow worm fuelsaver mk11. you say its a circulation problem, when the thermocouple was changed a leak was found and a valve was tightened up to stop it. could that have any thing to do with it.?? :confused: thankyou janine

You need to forget about the gas valve, I think.

You say the boiler is bumping and banging, that is circulation problems.

Have you checked the pump is working.

Did the valve that was leaking get turned back on.

to be honest its more of a rattle in the combustion chamber and the flame changes shape and colour, the leak has been left tightened up. still think its a circulation problem? it only does it for a minute. thanks for getting back to me.

Is the boiler banging and bumping or is it just a rattle as if something is loose, like the fan.

It's an old boiler so it could just be some contracting and expanding of the metal inside the combustion chamber however it could be explosive ignition so if I were you I'd get it looked at properly.

It did sound initially like a circulating problem but if it were it would certainly last more than a minute and would eventually lead to the boiler shutting down due to overheating or the boiler stat being satisfied.

Could be nothing of consequence though but don't take a chance for the sake of a few bob.

Tony.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back