Nuisance tripping has stumped our sparky...

Sponsored Links
Currently, the electrician has identified some screws that are extremely close to the casing taking wiring up from behind the dishwasher to a single socket on the landing (which he has now identified as the likely cause of the tripping, even with no appliances coming into circuit).

We screwed these on about 18 months ago in order to support a kitchen worktop, which had previously been supported by a wooden slat. After purchasing a dishwasher, we found we had to find an alternative means of propping up the countertop as he wooden slat was too wide. Lots of plaster is coming off...

What do you mean by 'casing'? Do you mean the cable sheath?
If so, 'extremely close' does not really matter.

This cable from dish washer to landing socket would seem very easy to disconnect and test.

Even if he's still not sure, why not just leave it disconnected and see what happens - assuming it's not part of a ring?

...electrician has identified some screws that are extremely close to the casing taking wiring up from behind the dishwasher to a single socket on the landing (which he has now identified as the likely cause of the tripping, even with no appliances coming into circuit).

I take it that that's the leg of the circuit where he's detected an unacceptable low reading?

Sponsored Links
...electrician has identified some screws that are extremely close to the casing taking wiring up from behind the dishwasher to a single socket on the landing (which he has now identified as the likely cause of the tripping, even with no appliances coming into circuit).

I take it that that's the leg of the circuit where he's detected an unacceptable low reading?

That's it. Unfortunately, it looks as if the boiler is connected to the same leg of the ring (which is going to become a radial circuit, I think he's saying).

He's going to eliminate that leg so we will just be missing one socket, which is fine.

His Megger has even broken when a charge was introduced -- didn't give him any warning. This house...!

I wonder if you have an emmersion heater with dicky insulation? I note you;ve unplugged all your appliances, but try pulling the fuse on the heater. If you don't have one - forget anything I've typed

Nozzlr

I wonder if you have an emmersion heater with dicky insulation? I note you;ve unplugged all your appliances, but try pulling the fuse on the heater. If you don't have one - forget anything I've typed

Nozzlr

No, we haven't got one.

In better news, WE HAVE POWER!! The electrician has taken out the faulty leg, though it remains a mystery as to what exactly about it is faulty.

He's a lifesaver to come out on a Sunday after we only called him back again yesterday afternoon -- and he only charged us £70 :)

Thanks so much for all the advice on here!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back