NUMATIC NV350 HENRYS ANCIENT GRANDFATHER s.o.s.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi anyone out there know anything about these amazing machines?Ive had this one for 25 yes TWENTY FIVE YEARS and it has never gone wrong ...until 3 weeks ago when it stopped.No smoke ,just stopped.Actually ,thinking about it,it was switched off but would not restart when switched on again.An electrician checked it and changed the flex.It was louder and more powerful than before weirdly .Then it would not turn on again.I looked inside the handle where the switch is located and it turned on again.Did I wiggle a loose connection?It worked for 15 mins then stopped by itself,whilst I was happily thinking my house would be clean again. Numatic are a big company who say they have a spare for every machine they ever made and this model is known to last 30 YEARS!!!!I tried to get them to take it for diagnosis but they did not reply.I asked them as all sparkys Ive asked told me to dump it.But why?Clearly the motor is good.It is working brilliantly....when alive.Help please.If there is an expert near to Ross On Wye that would be great.

Sponsored Links
Most likely cause is the switch having worn out. Ask Numatic if they can supply a new switch. Add a bit of genuine praise for the quality of their machine to the request as anything that lightens the day for the staff facing customers is likely to make them more helpful to you.

Lets not forget the cable winding mechanism in Henry's lid......there are some copper brushes in there that allow the cable to coil. They do wear out due to sparking, and there's a capacitor across the switch too which is worth checking.
(Change in motor tone often spells their demise - usually they don't spin as fast as they should, often accompanied by a burning smell.)
If you need a new motor, go for a genuine one.
John :)

Thanks.I have been very praiseworthy to numatic,I geuss they are very busy and I can see why.I get so fed up with the lack of quality nowadays.Our tv ...blew up ..replaced by another baddie...refunded after much protest.Cooker went bang within 4 weeks of new,fixed under warranty.Tumble dryer recalled due to combusting model,ripped off at garages 4 times.All I ever wanted was what I paid for and my NV goes far beyond anything I expected.Steel body,no winder as the bigger version than little henry.5

Sponsored Links
premature yap termination...5 house renovations,5 different big dogs,kids,one fall downstairs,several times knocked over,not serviced except me cleaning it.Truly astounding.Simple powerful.Only hassle due to age is weight a bit heavy up stairs for me now.Several "others" not numatic were so stupidly squiffey I gave them away after a few weeks.I dont get commission!

Many thanks,will keep this link as may yet need a switch.ta..As I am not a engine/motor tech genius(lady -spanner-amateur) I took it for a free diagnostic at a local vacuum sparky.They said switch ok,cable ok,motor overheating.I have doubts they even bothered looking at it ,as due to age its not a big earner to fix..as obsolete bits....a museum item!!I thought these oldies at 25 years did NOT have an automatic thermal cut out,which is the problem the diagnostic person came up with.The next thing is I have a feeling it could be due to erratic, then none ,motor working, the carbon brushes? that numatic told me are obsolete.I have found that you can buy carbon and cut it to size though how it can be replaced and resecured inside the plastic housing I do not yet know.I know it must be spring loaded.Is it glued onto a plate beneath which lies the spring?Worth a try.

A replacement brush can be made by filing down a larger brush of the same general type. One thing to be careful about is the hardness of the brush. If it is too hard then the copper on the commutator will wear quickly. Too soft and the brushes will wear faster and create more carbon dust. Too soft is acceptable as brushes can be replaced easiily and dust removed.

Some brushes come with a pigtail ( flexible copper wire ) moulded into the carbon to make the electrical connection to the brush. When filing down a large pigtailed brush ensure that the end of the tail inside the brush is not exposed by the filing.

yes it is.a steel one with bigger wheels at the back castors at the front.Carbon is very cheap.are the brushes hard to replace?

Attachments

• hoover.jpg
    hoover.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 141
The brushes are simple enough to replace, but obviously the motor needs to be out of the machine and on the bench. The brushes are held in their own plastic holders......and its best to see how the originals are. If they are worn down towards the 3mm mark they may well be at fault - if they are longer they won't be so long as they can slide in their sprung holders.
Your fun will start getting new brushes as I'm pretty sure the wire ends of the brush are spot welded to the motor casing - but don't hold me to that one.
If it was mine, I'd extract the old brushes and then jolly along to a repairer - there's a good chance that they are pretty similar to the new ones.
Do check the original brushes first, and be lucky
John :)

Thanks.If all fails I will use it for something else.The trolley is useful as is the hose.I will try my very best,it was a great machine and worth a try.If it was a weak fluff sucker I would not bother,but this beast sucks up all building rubble that will go up the hose,it can even take a fly out from airborne at 2 foot away the kids told me.I am not such a saddo I would ever do such a mindless thing.o_O jan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back