Number of sockets to a fuse in a consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've discovered that for my 1 bedroom flat, there are only three functioning fuses in my existing consumer unit:

1 for the lights
1 for the cooker
1 for EVERYTHING ELSE

I'm planning to add about 8 new double sockets and replace about 6 singles with doubles.

Questions are:
Should I be worried?
Should I try to get these split across multiple fuses?

Side note: This is an ex-local authority flat and both the ceiling and floors are concrete.

I'm planning to have the consumer unit replaced later.

Sponsored Links
I think your question is basically, is one ring main adequate given what you are looking to do?

There is no limit to the number of sockets on a ring, and converting single sockets to doubles is also fine.

But, there are regs that restrict the amount of floor space a ring can serve, but in a flat, it is unlikely this will be exceeded, but you should check to be sure.

In another post, someone mentioned Part P but I didn't see an acknowledgement, so just to be sure, you will have to get someone to check your work to make sure its ok.

BTW, what makes you want to replace the CU?

pna said:
But, there are regs that restrict the amount of floor space a ring can serve, but in a flat, it is unlikely this will be exceeded, but you should check to be sure.
He's not increasing the area which the circuit serves..

In another post, someone mentioned Part P but I didn't see an acknowledgement, so just to be sure, you will have to get someone to check your work to make sure its ok.
Unless some of the sockets are in the kitchen, the work is not notifiable, which means that the only requirements he has to meet are:

P1 Reasonable provision shall be made in the design, installation, inspection and testing of electrical installations in order to protect persons from fire or injury.

P2 Sufficient information shall be provided so that persons wishing to operate, maintain or alter an electrical installation can do so with reasonable safety.

OTOH, pna - if any of the sockets you are adding or changing are in the kitchen, then the work is notifiable, and the law says that you must either tell your local Building Control dept in advance what you plan to do, or you must have the work done by an electrician who is registered with one of the approved Competent Person schemes.

Testing the modified circuit is a good idea, and I wouldn't dream of not testing it if I was doing it, but in the real world, where someone is going to have to pay for a test? Probably won't happen.

I'd like to know what is meant by "three functioning fuses" - are there some broken ones? Are there circuits which don't work?

I have room for 6 fuses. But only three are in use.

thanks for all the info. I am NOT doing anything in the kitchen, but I am planning to add some double sockets as spurs to the ring. I know that I cannot add a spur to a spur, so that's fine.

I also got some great advice regarding where I can and can't chase the walls. I've done that (no one mentioned how much dust that would make) ;)

Now, I'm drilling the holes for the sockets and will be putting the new sockets in myself.

I'm getting the rooms re-plastered, so I plan to leave the flex in the chased gaps and deal with it that way.

Sponsored Links
pna said:
I think your question is basically, is one ring main adequate given what you are looking to do?
Yup. That's exactly it. Thanks.

pna said:
I have this in another thread. the CU is mounted in what I think is called a mantel unit. Since the ceiling and floor are both cement, conduits are all embedded in it. The mains come in through a large conduit in the ceiling concealed within a wall.

This wall is a partition between the main hallway and the bathroom.

That wall has some moisture problems and also is not straight. The reason it's not straight may be due to the large metal housing unit the CU is mounted within along with the meter.

I want the entire housing unit and CU taken out and replaced with a modern unit with an RCD. I don't necessarily want to move the unit to another location, but that wall will be rebuilt and I'll need to get that metal housing unit removed first.

I can send photos of it if you'd like to see it. Send me an email address.

its generally advisable to have the kitchen on its own ring.

what high load appliances do you have/use in your flat?

Cooker (on its own fuse)
Water Pump
Washing machine (no dryer)
Planning to connect an immersion heater on a separate fuse.

Other than that, it's basic stuff... computers, tv, radio, alarm clocks, lamps, printer, I don't even own a tv or video equipment.

i wouldn't expect a water pump to be a heavy load appliance. does it have a rating plate on it saying how much it draws?

the cooker is one its own cuircuit

you don't mention any electric heating.

the immersion should definately do on its own fuse.

so overall you seem fine with one cuircuit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back