consumer unit in workshop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a brick built workshop at the rear of my house which has a 4mm t/e cable feeding the electrics from the consumer unit in my house. the 4mm cable has a run of about 10metres and is protected by a 30 amp wired fuse. In the workshop there are 2 65w fluorescent lights and 1 double socket. The 4mm cable terminates in a large 60 amp junction box and the lighting and socket wires are connected via this box. Do i need a seperate consumer unit in the workshop with fuses for the lights and socket? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
What size fuse is protecting the lights, the 30A? If so then yes, you need to have a suitable sized protective device installed for the lights, is the socket RCD protected? What size cables are used for lights and sockets?
A CU may be the preferable option, installing a consumer unit is notifiable under part p of the building regs.

And when protected by a rewireable fuse, the max current rating of 4mm is 26.8A, so a 30A fuse is too big. Either the next size fuse down is needed, or the cable needs to be increased to 6mm

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back