nut (not edible) in a pipe

B

breezer

dont ask why, but i want to secure a nut in a pipe.
size of pipe will be either 22mm or 15mm which ever is the easier.

so far i put a nut in a pipe and hit the pipe with a hammer, it sort of works, but a crushed pipe does not look too good.

can any one suggest another way of securing the nut, AND still leave a space around the nut?
The space should be as much as possible

In my case there was space on 4 sides since it was a hex nut in a what was round pipe.

If it helps (or not) the nut is not important, but the bolt that goes in the nut is

Sponsored Links
good point (and i thought i had everything covered)

to anwer your question, not very. I shall elaborate.

minimum must be so nut is fluch with end of pipe

maximum is about an inch, as that is the length of the bolt (but i can use longer bolts of need be)

Is the tube carrying on after the nut, or ends not far after?

Could you solder the nut in, or, solder a reduce either side of a bit of pipe containing the nut?

Alternatively, would a stud adapter be usuable instead, you can get them in most sizes, m6 m8 m10 etc, but it gives you an inch to play with, instead of a quarter inch.

Sponsored Links
What about a 13mm nut with a flange washer attached.

Takes an 8mm bolt.There probably is a correct name for the nut but it eludes me right now.

A 12mm bolt will use a nut that is 19mm,may suit your 22mm pipe.

These are nuts with 6 sides if that is any help.Not sure of the diameter across the points of the nut if you get my meaning.

*edit*
Forget the last bit,just re-read you 1st post and not trying to educate on bolt/nut sizes.

Why do you need a space round the nut? with an hexagonal,you could have 50% soldered,do'es it need to be much more, doe's holding strenght come into it? could you not grind the nut square, solder at the corners, probarbly only take 25% up, Brazing is stronger,

I reckon it's some kind of spray head, breezer secures a nut inside a pipe, then puts a bolt with a large head down into the nut, but loosening or tightening the bolt it gets closer to the end of the pipe and the spray pattern is altered.
He needs a gap around the nut so that the water can flow through (as the bolt will fill the hole in the middle of the bolt.

Come on Breezer? Am I right??! :LOL:

I think I'd try a 2part epoxy to secure the nut on two opposite sides, but your idea of crushing the pipe is probably the best one (albeit a bit ugly)

How bout a large metal raw bolt, type they use to bolt machines
to floors etc, they expand out when you tighten them.

Hi and thanks people (sorry its late, been busy with the day job)

actually Toasty has hit the nail on the head (so to speak) but i am going to fix something to the bolt (still got to find / make that, but thats the easy bit)

I have also come to the conclusion that a 15mm pipe is too small, so 22mm it is.

Crushing the pipe apart from looking naff, is not good, (not enough gap) and I can not see how i can solder a nut inside a pipe (solder the outside yes, inside no) Unless someone can enlighten me.

epoxy resin sounds good, a bit too mcuh on the nut andpoke it in on the end of a bolt, I will try that. any recomendations for which one? (bearing in mind i dont need a lot)

breezer said:
and I can not see how i can solder a nut inside a pipe (solder the outside yes, inside no) Unless someone can enlighten me.

Using a stud connector (also called a threaded rod connector). Long enough to hold an end with a pair of grips, while holding the pipe in a vice and solder/braze. Then use a grider to whip the end off flush.

yes :oops: i see what you mean, poke the studding in from the other end.

Only thing now though is i cant use a nut that touches the sides, for reasons toasty guessed.

I have been thinking , I may have to drill in from the sides with smaller bolts to hold the main bolt secure, but i have a concern with this.....

If the bolt is being held by smaller bolts (from the sides) the force of the central bolt (along with what i am putting on the end) may want to pull the nut from the side bolts (if you see what i mean) but i cant tighten the side smaller bolts too much as I am worried the force will pull them back through the side wall of the pipe (as if i would be stripping the thrad on a bolt)

Is solder available in a strip intead of a wire type form?If not how about banging it flat with a hammer.

What about wrapping that around the nut 'cold' and heating the pipe so it melts on contact?

Kind of...maybe...perhaps...

novel idea, but i need as little solder as possible so the gap around the nut is as big as possible

Ok...not sure how your using the bolt..but is there a chance of 'hollowing' it out with a drill, or part of it out to help with water flow?

Or perhaps using a T section instead of a straight pipe? Water comes in from a different direction than the bit your turning? Draw us a picture and im sure we can come up with some other ideas!

1.jpg

it really is that simple (well the idea is)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back