Stopcock Gland Nut

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a c100 year old mains stopcock on lead pipe leaking from the gland nut area. Image shows hellish position. Note the glad nut end isn't hex but round/gnarled. I have tried to get some mole grips around the nut but given the proximit to body and lack of space to work that just isn't going to fly. I've resigned myself to digging out a bit of working space but would really appreciate sugestions for how to get that nut out - any tools, ideas or techniques would be really appreciated. Oh, and is the whole assembly likely to fall apart and leave me flooded/with no mains water. Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20230604_184913.jpg
    IMG_20230604_184913.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 111
Sponsored Links
Advice - get an experienced plumber in.

Andy
Thanks Andy, unfortunately I don't have the £700 that a plumber wanted to swap it out - one plumber wouldn't touch it and another wanted £££ to replace all the lead pipe. What problems am I likely to run into by doing this myself? .

Sponsored Links
So if the Plumber's you called want that much money and one wouldn't touch it. What do you think you could do reading views from a diy site.

Keep calling round and see what Plumber will work for you for a price that you can afford.

Andy

Also, do you have an external stoptap or water meter?

Post pictures, also post pictures of your leaking stop tap further back so that we can see the whole area.

Andy

Last edited:
They will provide a non-lead connection to my boundary, I'd need to provide new pipe on my side which would be a big/expensive job.

The problem you have here is if it's that old then any persuasion that it may need may be too great and it could then snap the tap or the pipe. A plumber would normally know how far to go before it's liable to snap and then stop and re-assess if it doesn't budge.

Clear access though is the first thing and is there access to the outside mains stop tap? The easiest thing may be to isolate and cut it out and then using a lead trans adapter (philmac/leadloc/plasson) to add a new run in after that point with a new lever valve attached. Again though that needs a competent or experienced touch to get the lead clean and round enough to accept an adapter properly.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the advice above. It put me off trying myself so I just had this done by a plumber - very glad that I didn't try myself else pretty sure I would have put too much pressure on the lead pipe. They cut out the stopcock head in several pieces with an angle grinder and sealed off. (Blow torch and wire drill attachment came into it somewhere) Two plumbers and took about 3 hours.

Attachments

• IMG_20230701_115950.jpg
    IMG_20230701_115950.jpg
    515 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back