Leaking stopcock - help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I moved into a new house a few days ago and since turning on the internal mains stopcock I have noticed a leak coming from both the gland nut and further down the base. I managed to stop the gland nut leak by packing it with PTFE and tightening it, but since I've done this, the leak at the base (no idea what this bit is called) has got worse.

I can't find my mobile phone usb lead as I'm still living out of boxes at the moment, so can't upload photos, but I have included a link to a photo that was used on a previous post (apologies to the owner for reusing their photo)...

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa10/peter999_photos/pic1-DSCF5960.jpg

That is pretty much what the stopcock looks like, excluding the tap/valve on the left - just the larger tap on the right with the pipe itself up against the wall. The circular section where it connects to the pipe is where the leak is coming from and I can see a small bit of what looks like a rather worn washer coming through that joint. I'm extending the kitchen in a matter of weeks and all this will be replaced with new a few metres away from where it is now, so I really just want a quick fix for the problem and not something overly complicated.

My main question is...can I (after freezing a section of pipe) attempt to replace the washer? Will this solve the problem? Given that I'll only have about 1 hr tops to work on this after the pipe freeze, I'd like to get as much info as possible on how to go about it and even maybe what sort of washer I need?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
[/url]

Sponsored Links
does your street stop cock not work ?
this way you could close it off...cut the lead with your speedfit plastic pipe cutters, go to the plumbers and get 2 lead loks and new stop cock

Water company told me that the external stopcock serves the entire row of houses along here, so I figured freezing the pipe would be a more considerate option.

I suppose I could replace the stopcock, but I was hoping for a quicker option just to keep things running smoothly for a few weeks until the lead piping etc will be replaced.

Is it not a good option to just replace the washer?

Sponsored Links
it could be the washer..the only thing is i have struggled in the past to get into this type of tap...but if you can undo it and get to the inners then yes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back