O-ring or fibre washer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing my leaking hot water cylinder with a stainless steel one. The immersion heater came with a fibre washer, and the tank came wth an o-ring. Any recommendations as to the best one to use?
TIA

Sponsored Links
you will need an immersion heater for an unvented cylinder, the ones for vented cylinders are not the same, if your last cylinder was unvented too then it should be ok

I'm replacing vented with vented, and am fitting a titanium immersion heater to the SS tank.

Sorry mate I am not the best to advise you as I have never seen a stainless open vented cylinder, I am a gas engineer not a plumber

Sponsored Links
Have a look at the end face of the immersion boss on the cylinder. If it is flat, use the fibre washer. If it has a groove around the inner circumference, or in the end face itself, I'd be tempted to use the O ring. If you use an O ring on a flat surface, it will tend to be squeezed out, they are intended to sit in a groove.

Thanks all, I discovered a label on the tank saying use the o ring (RTFI), and rang Tesla , - immersion maker not the car maker - who agreed that I should use the o- ring. Its got two chances!

Thanks again.

Thanks all, I discovered a label on the tank saying use the o ring (RTFI), and rang Tesla , - immersion maker not the car maker - who agreed that I should use the o- ring. Its got two chances!

Thanks again.
Yes, and smear it with silicone grease.

I am replacing my leaking hot water cylinder with a stainless steel one. The immersion heater came with a fibre washer, and the tank came wth an o-ring. Any recommendations as to the best one to use?
TIA
Fit whatever came with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back