oak barge boards.

T

thatbloke

what would the likely cost be for some oak barge boards guys?
i know its a bit of a vague question but i need to repair mine and was wondering if replacing them with oak would be cheap enough to make it an option.
this is just to buy them , i would be fitting them my self.

Sponsored Links
3" x 1" 12ft long?

or 11" x 1-1/2" 18ft long?

Could make a difference.

Does it really need to be oak?

it does. i wish to put up exposed oak for a few reasons , durability , low maintenance and aesthetics. ive got white painted boards up there at the moment and they do nothing for the appearance of the house.

size wise i am not too sure off hand.
the house dates back to the early 1500's and i am assuming oak would be more within keeping. i also intend to strip the sandtex (sp?) paint off the exterior and limewash it as well as repair the render to give it a more traditional appearance.

SAM_0656.jpg

i think the boards could be around 5 meters long , is it possible to get oak boards this long?

If you can find someone who cut a 18 foot tree down :idea: ;) That crazy vent pipe wants moving to the other side of the window and ending above it :idea: - have a look in a reclamation yard for the timber and the cast iron pipe - Good luck.

Sponsored Links
reclamation yard might be a good idea although ive been told green oak will be ok but air dried will be better.
that pipe is asbestos believe it or not , its a vent for the toilet in that extension. it doesnt pong so i am not too worried about it but i agree it does need sorting.

Nice house,shame about the colour.Your barge boards look about 15 or 16 foot long -whats wrong with them? Not sure about U.k prices -here I would pay about 25 euro/cubic foot [half dry] from country sawmill so Im guessing it might cost you £50 or £60 /cu.foot.As an alternative to replacing boards you could [if they are not too bad structurely] just face them with thinner boards that will be cheaper and easier to install and the thatch overhang looks like it could accomodate them.Use brass screws as steel ones will rust VERY quickly due to the corrosive nature of tannic acid that is in it.

suffolk pink thats supposed to be. apparently a traditional colour for suffolk. people say they used to mix oxen blood with the limewash to make it pink , the richer you were the more blood you could afford so the redder your limewash.
personally i think its a load of old *******s , suffolk pink is about as traditional as my arse. and santex masonry paint doesnt do much for its appearance either.
i intend to use bare oak for all the exterior woodwork and strip the santex off then repairing the render (removing the cement) with a chalk/lime and hair mix then lime washing it. the way it sits now its akin to a lovely old classic car that has been butcherised by a Burberry wearing kerry katona fan with a halfords account.
top tip about the screws though , cheers. :D

I would willingly swap my one bed council flat for your house anyday. Even if it was psychedelic purple. (which mine isn't)
Yours jealously

JJ ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back