Oak Beam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Wondered if someone could help on this one.

We are sourcing a Oak Beam for an extension.

I know this will need the structural calculations for submission for building regs etc when they are received I assume they then confirm the dimensions of the beam required?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
welshcottage, good evening.

As I see it you are correct, get the calculation completed then source a suitable beam. from a reputable supplier, at that point prior to purchase confirm with the Designer that the beam does actually meet the criterial laid down by the designer, that way you are covering a lot of the bases needed to ensure the beam is fit for purpose?

I have seen a long time ago an oak Beam hollowed out around a steel beam, the Steel beam taking the load and the oak looking pretty, indeed as I recall the beam was a fairly spectacular lump of timber well figured and had the odd knot still in place, visually interesting.

Ken.

I have seen a long time ago an oak Beam hollowed out around a steel beam, the Steel beam taking the load and the oak looking pretty, indeed as I recall the beam was a fairly spectacular lump of timber well figured and had the odd knot still in place, visually interesting.
You can also buy polyurethane 'fake' beams to fit over the steel.
http://www.oakleaf.co.uk/beams/Country-Cottages/

Sponsored Links
There was a good pub in London. When refurbished they replaced a pair of beams and the supporting post with a single long steel RSJ and fitted a plastic mock beam to hide the RSJ. The pattern of knot holes was realistic, except it was repeated three times along the beam. More holes were added when disgruntled regulars stubbed out cigarettes on the beam.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back