Oak Breakfast Bar Upright

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We are having a new kitchen fitted with Oak worktops. We are also having an oak breakfast bar and using a piece of worktop for the upright to support it (joined as the picture attached).

The kitchen fitter has offered various methods on how to join this but I just wondered what people's opinions are on here. Options included an oak batton screwed into the upright and top which I think would look awful. It 'L' shaped brackets - does it matter what metal these are made of?

Any help is appreciated. [/img]

Sponsored Links
mitre,dovetail or a couple of through tennons.
all depends on how deep your pockets are and what you would REALLY like.

Thanks for the quick replies.

We want the most sturdy but with as little fixings on view as possible.

Quite like the biscuits idea.

Sponsored Links
If you do choose to use fixings then make sure they are made from non ferrous metal so they don't rust

I would use an oak newel as a leg with another piece to form a T brace, allow leg room all round. ;)

Stainless fixing plates let into both end's and fixed into end grain with long screw's,let in and proud of both sides to give fixing positiones to floor and underside of work top rounded ends on brakets and SS screws for a good finish

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back