Oak Engineered Floor - Decision Time.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are looking to have an engineered wood floor laid.

The suppliers who laid our carpet recommend flooring by V4. Has anyone a view on whether this product is OK? The top layer is 4mm.

Sponsored Links
Spend a little more & have solid oak. We have both types, engineered (3mm) laid first but I recently laid 30 sq/m of 18mm solid oak in the lounge; much better to walk on & more hard wearing than the veneer used on the engineered stuff. You can pick up some very good quality bargains if you shop around & I wish I'd gone the extra mile with all of it now.

Opinions vary, more and more solid wood floor manufacturers are switching to good quality wood-engineered floors.
Reason: lesser trees needed (hardwood trees that is, like Oak, Beech etc) and.... lesser complaints.

Wood-engineered can be installed in many more circumstances and areas than solid, are much more stable and once down you can't see any difference due to the solid top layer.

But... of course quality comes with a price (that's true for solid floors too, many "cheap offers" around for solid floors which are complete rubbish).

I would love to have solid Oak but the circumstances (not cost) mean that it is not an option to us. Hence my asking for advice on a quality Engineered solution.

Perhaps I need to open it up and ask for advice as to a name of a good engineered wood. I have looked at the website of a certain great place in the TN Post Code area and would probably go with them other than that I am in the Midlands

Thanks for the comments.

Sponsored Links
I would love to have solid Oak but the circumstances (not cost) mean that it is not an option to us.
What other reason would there be apart from cost? Whilst I respect WYL’s technical expertise, I really don’t have at tree hugging conscience, I’m sorry. Is that your concern? If so I'm on a looser & will shut up. :LOL:

The engineered stuff is less fussy to the ambient environment &, I found, far more easier to install but by biding my time & waiting for the right moment, I got some really nice solid oak for only 1/3 more than I paid for the engineered stuff. There is no comparison to how it looks &, just as important, how it feels when you walk on it, it feels like a proper floor & not laminate; no contest IMO. ;)

Richard I apologise if this seems blunt but I was asking about engineered oak boarding as that is what I want and need. I have already said that given the opportunity I would go for solid oak but it is not an option and I do not need to justify it to anyone.

I have a great respect for WoodYouLike and have used his advice on a number of occasions usually by doing a search on the issue I need to resolve. I will willingly do this again in this instance.

I have already said that given the opportunity I would go for solid oak but it is not an option and I do not need to justify it to anyone. I have a great respect for Woodsmith and have used his advice on a number of occasions usually by doing a search on the issue I need to resolve. I will willingly do this again in this instance.
Well get you Sandy Beech; so why not post direct instead of posting an open forum

I use V4 products regularly. They are good to work with and look great when finished. Bear in mind that if you go for a rustic grade you will get filled knots. I believe that the 14/15mm ranges have a 3mm wear layer and the 21mm has a 6mm.
They are all tongue and groove products (not click system).
Get a maintenance kit to suit whichever finish you go for.

Those in the TN postcode zone do supply all around the UK ;)

And thanks for the compliment.

c'mon now Sandy!!!, tell us why solid isn't an option lol...

Really though, there are good and not so good engineered boards. Both KAHRS and JUNCKERS are very good names but a bit pricey. Whatever you choose, stay clear of click loc, and go for a glued T&G floor, there are some nice single strip (not 2/3 strip) floors on the market.

Thanks Pete. Much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back