Oak flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My new solid oak floor has developed an unsightly crack around one of the knots (about 5 inches worth of cracking). The product has a factory -lacquered finish and the lacquer has cracked, causing the knot to rise up out of the plank slightly, giving an uneven, rough feel. What causes this and what can I do? The installer took RH readings and assured me these were normal but the wood was laid straight from the box - no time to acclimatise. Could this be the cause?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
sounds like a "drying" crack has appeared due to lower air humidity when the central heating is on now.
Should not really effect the lacquer.

Other possibility would be a "fall splinter", again due to lower humidity levels now letting loose of the rest of the wood. That's a defect normally spotted during quality checks in the factory, but some are not very noticeable and slip through.

Picture would help to see which of the above it is

My new solid oak floor has developed an unsightly crack around one of the knots (about 5 inches worth of cracking). The product has a factory -lacquered finish and the lacquer has cracked, causing the knot to rise up out of the plank slightly, giving an uneven, rough feel. What causes this and what can I do? The installer took RH readings and assured me these were normal but the wood was laid straight from the box - no time to acclimatise. Could this be the cause?

Thanks for any help.

You are now part of the lovely solid oak family, enjoy it moving, shrinking, and causing grief.

If you wanted a lovely smooth and perfect floor, you should not have chosen solid oak.

Now me, I love it. But perhaps. you thought of something else.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back