Oak parquet flooring & leaking bitumen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help please...!

We discovered when removing the lounge carpet that we had a great oak parquet flooring, so decided to strip and reseal etc.

However, there is part of the floor that seems to be leaking the 'bitumen' (I am guessing this is the adhesive used) and I can't find anything to clean it up. We have put up with it for a few years, but we need to strip and seal the floor again so would like to get this sorted this time.

So, can anyone advise what would be the best type of cleaner to remove the excess bitumen? Whenever we move a chair or piece of furniture in this area it 'drags' some of the bitumen so is making the whole area a bit of a mess. Would appreciate your advice.....

Cheers

Ken

Sponsored Links
Odourless Kerosene will do it although it will be difficult for you to find but you could try Tar Remover from most car accessories shop

I can't understand why bitumen is still coming up unless it's a very thick base bedding or may have underfloor heating(?)

Sorry for delay in responding...

There is no underfloor heating or anything like that, it's a solid (concrete?) floor. There is something that may be related, but am struggling to see how it would. In laymans terms ('cos that's all I know!), there is an 'airbrick' of sorts at floor level on the external wall of the lounge, which appears to be angled towards the fireplace. So whether there is some sort of underfloor 'breather tube' or summat I don't know, but am guessing that it's not related.

I'll give the Tar Remover a go and see how I get on

Thanks

Ken

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back