Oak parquet flooring newly installed lifting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have had new herringbone parquet floor installed in our extended 1930s house. The parquet in the extension section totally fine – it is the parquet in the old part of the house (the old parquet was removed here and the concrete floor levelled, blackjacked, laytexed and then parquet on top. The raised sections are both at the edges of the floor but also worse centrally. They are bowed up from the centre.

We think there is sufficient expansion gaps, although the flooring company said the expansion gaps are less of an issue with herringbone. However there is cork at one end and the parquet does not go to the edge along one side as there are kitchen units.

The very reputable flooring complany are adamant it is rising damp from the substrate. We obviously need to be sure of this.

Initally before the parquet was laid the floor was tested with a damp metre (no damp), but now on measurement there appears to measures of damp.

Any advice?

Sponsored Links
It was a metre that was placed on the surface of the floor, with 2 probes I think, and I am assuming this measured the damp?

More recently the flooring people came again and used it again, but plus a rod that they stuck into the ground.

AS you can tell I am not that technical!!

thanks,

Sponsored Links
Why did the "very reputable flooring company" install your parquet if the substrate was damp or otherwise unsuitable? Why didn't they check properly first?

Over to your solicitor?

10 years ago mate so he should of sorted it. But you are right the flooring company have messed up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back