oak shelving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am looking at building some simple oak book shelving inbetween two walls. Is oak 19mm thick going to be strong enough spanning just over a metre? I think I will secure it to the walls on three sides with 19mm thick battons along the full length.

Is this going to be strong enough to hold?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
are they made from two or more "rotated boards"[grain up/grain down]
are they fully seasoned?
where have they been stored ??

Sponsored Links
I think its just a single board. I've not been able to find anywhere nearby which sells planed oak, where do you usually purchase from?

Thanks

I think its just a single board. I've not been able to find anywhere nearby which sells planed oak, where do you usually purchase from?

Thanks

an oak plank that wide will be very unstable unless its well seasoned and stored well
generally wood needs to be around 2-4" strips alternating growth rings up and down for stability

in your case 5 bits off 2x1" planed comes out as 21x44mm so glued together gives you 220mm

You could use oak faced mdf or oak blockboard but means buying a full sheet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back