Oak stairs, Osmo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening all,
I am having replacement stair newel posts, handrail and spindles in oak fitted and have been getting conflicting suggestions on what Osmo oil to use, we want a matt finish and keep the wood light but there seems to be so different types, so far I think we've narrowed it down to either Osmo 3033 or 3062. Which one would you suggest if either?
regards Chris

Sponsored Links
From those two numbers 3062 as it is clear (and Matt) so will keep colour of wood.

Although to mess it up my preference is 3032 - Clear Satin. :)

Remember, with osmo, make sure it is applied in thin layers. (I wipe it on with a cloth and then wipe off excess). Thick layers do not dry.

Thanks for the quick reply SKF and for the useful tip about thin layers

I was talking to a guy in the pub the other day who told me that he applies Osmo with those white webrax scouring pads. He says it spreads the oil much further than rags/etc.

I am in the pub at the moment so can't turn the volume up on my laptop but I have found the YouTuber's videos to be helpful in the past.

Sponsored Links
Yep - used those too.
Micro cloths.
And the blue cloths.
Anything that is lint free.

Key thing that I found is apply thin coats, and wipe on - wipe off ensuring no thick bits.

Last edited:
I've bought 3062 and after doing a test piece, (a spare spindle), a great success by using a microfibre cloth
for applying and removing excess, they are really good for getting into the corners of the spindle/handrail and to be honest
I hardly used any, it would seem that a 750ml tin will last a long time. Second coat to be applied today, thank you both SFK
and opps for your help.
regards Chris

Chris, Sounds great.
And yes it goes a long way - and the reason I like osmo is that if any future scratches, a wipe over the scratch with osmo hides it.

Also, for an even flatter surface I have applied two thin coats of osmo and then used 1200 Wet-and-Dry sand paper with water and a bit of washing up liquid to lightly sand the osmo.
Let dry very well and then apply another coat of osmo.

Worked great for stairs banister as that is where I touch most often (also did whole floor - but only as a quick Sand down).

https://www.toolstation.com/wet-dry-sanding-sheets-230-x-280mm/p36366

SFK

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back