Oak table advise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I got a solid oak dinning table on Friday. When it arrived the table top surface was Smooth to run your hand over.

24 hrs later and after 2 meals the table in parts is quite rough to run your hand over.

There has been no spillages on the table, and I have only used a lightly damp muslin cloth to wipe the table down twice after meals.

This seems to have left the table with visible streaks/wipe swirls they look lighter almost white like, in only some areas. (Dry spots)

Is this normal for an oak table to become so rough after 24hrs? The area where no one has sat and ate a meal is still extremely smooth.

Dining place mats have been used on then other used areas which have a dry, raised rough feel.

I will phone the company tomorrow but looking for some advise on here also

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
What finish does it have ? White would suggest moisture absorbed on unfinished surface.

Not 100% but it definitely has a natural oil finish, it a finished surface

Attachments

• 56790EE7-24C8-4A0E-9017-55752A0D41C2.jpeg
    56790EE7-24C8-4A0E-9017-55752A0D41C2.jpeg
    202.1 KB · Views: 222
These are the marks

Attachments

• B609A418-669C-4EF3-BAEC-1F02E3B5161C.jpeg
    B609A418-669C-4EF3-BAEC-1F02E3B5161C.jpeg
    259.3 KB · Views: 201
  • B6269850-7D46-4300-9812-BD6B5884F227.jpeg
    B6269850-7D46-4300-9812-BD6B5884F227.jpeg
    422.8 KB · Views: 231
  • A5DEB901-BF03-4ACD-91B7-F703CF8232BA.jpeg
    A5DEB901-BF03-4ACD-91B7-F703CF8232BA.jpeg
    284.8 KB · Views: 231
Sponsored Links
water will raise the grain of unprotected wood, perhaps your damp cloth has done it.

Oak is usually waxed or oiled (or oiled first, then waxed) using several thin coats

The timber in your pic does not look like European oak (which has distinctive medullary rays) perhaps it is a far-east timber. The legs are in the style of some Indian tables I have seen.

The cloth was light damp not anything near wet

water will raise the grain of unprotected wood, perhaps your damp cloth has done it.

Oak is usually waxed or oiled (or oiled first, then waxed) using several thin coats

The timber in your pic does not look like European oak (which has distinctive medullary rays) perhaps it is a far-east timber. The legs are in the style of some Indian tables I have seen.

I checked an the table is European oak with an oil finish, it was ordered from a UK stop and came from Lithuania

Looks like the finish was poor and you have been able to wipe it off, unless the cloth was contaminated with a solvent.?

spoke to the company I ordered the table from and they are coming out this week to give it a light sand and re oil. Apparently the table has one coat of oil by the manufacture before it leaves the factory.

The guide says to oil every month for first 3 months, however the guide was not left by the delivery/set up team.

Hopefully the guys will sort it this week they said it was easy fixable

The finish wasnt waterproof so your damp cloth soaked in and raised the grain.

It needs sanding back and a few coats of oil.

Wont be that easy to eliminate the tide mark though.

I sent them the same photos and they did not seem concerned by what they had seen, they said it was not uncommon issue. Fingers crossed it is restored.

I did ask them if wiping it with a damp muslin was recommended and they said thats what they would recommend, and searching google this also seems to be the norm.

It is concerning that a couple wipes has caused this, even more so that it was lightly damp i.e water well rung out and a quick wipe over.

The guys came out gave it a light sand and oil looks brilliant

Attachments

• 5E81E623-82CF-4424-B8D1-2682D26045F9.jpeg
    5E81E623-82CF-4424-B8D1-2682D26045F9.jpeg
    276.9 KB · Views: 196
Looks much better. As long as you're careful not to leave spillages on there and always go with the grain when oiling or waxing it should last many years.

It's not solid oak though, rather multiple lengths of oak butted up together.

Did they leave you a supply of the oil? If so I'd rub (polish) a small quantity of the oil into the table frequently for the next few weeks - say 2 tp 3 months. Did they suggest any polish to use? If not ask.

when applying oil, apply no more than will soak in. After 15 minutes or so, rub with a dry cloth to remove any surplus oil remaining on the surface (otherwise it will go sticky, and be very hard to remove). You have to damp the rag with soapy water and tie it up in a plastic bag before binning, as it is a fire risk and can self-ignite.

Once it's been thoroughly oiled, you can rub it with wax. have a look at the Liberon website, they make some good stuff.
https://www.liberon.co.uk/our-products/

edit
their instructions don't mention wax on oil. Maybe I'm wrong?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back