Fill in grooves in solid oak dining table

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a solid oak dining room table from oakfurnitureland. I waxed it on arrival. Lovely wooden table but as with all their products there is a groove (5mm wide and 5mm deep) running about 12cm in from the edge of the table. The groove gets filled with loads of food gunk which sticks and is difficult to remove. Any suggestions of ways to fill the groove and make the table-top smooth? I like the wood and would rather not use a tablecloth. I also want something that I can remove if required so it doesn't void the warranty. Thanks in advance

IMG_5365.JPG

Sponsored Links
Bit late to decide you don’t like the style. Groove looks too large to fill with anything temporarily .

You could fill that with epoxy resin with jet black pigmemt then sand down and respray the entire top with an acid catalyist lacquer.
Would look great.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I have just bought a solid oak dining room table from oakfurnitureland. I waxed it on arrival. Lovely wooden table but as with all their products there is a groove (5mm wide and 5mm deep) running about 12cm in from the edge of the table. The groove gets filled with loads of food gunk which sticks and is difficult to remove. Any suggestions of ways to fill the groove and make the table-top smooth? I like the wood and would rather not use a tablecloth. I also want something that I can remove if required so it doesn't void the warranty. Thanks in advance

View attachment 137880
Did you ever sort this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back