Oak Veneer - Osmo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

What would be the best Osmo oil for Oak Veneer doors?

I've used Osmo in the past on the other doors i've got but chucked the tin and can't remember if it was Polyx i'd bought.

I've got a matt finish from previous work done similar to the untreated door at the moment.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I've just used Fiddes Matt Hard Wax Oil on an oak floor and it's come up a treat... so much so I've tested it on an oak veneered frame trim... it's had two coats and the veneer is still attached, so I'll be doing my doors in the same stuff.

Allegedly you are meant to use water based varnish on oak veneered items.

I've just used Fiddes Matt Hard Wax Oil on an oak floor and it's come up a treat... so much so I've tested it on an oak veneered frame trim... it's had two coats and the veneer is still attached, so I'll be doing my doors in the same stuff.

Allegedly you are meant to use water based varnish on oak veneered items.

Osmo door oil is oil based , you get a far better finish and tougher finish than crappy water based paint that literally dries as you are applying it showing every brush mark

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
OSMO door oil, is oil. What is the water based oil you are talking about?

OSMO door oil, is oil. What is the water based oil you are talking about?

OchAye who is the question aimed at - I clearly stated to use Osmo oil based as its for veneer doors, I absolutely despise water based paints

OchAye who is the question aimed at - I clearly stated to use Osmo oil based as its for veneer doors, I absolutely despise water based paints

I think Mr Chibs is referencing the risk of oil based finishes reactivating the glue used to hold the veneer in place.

At one point some door manufacturers used to recommend waterbased finishes. I suspect that they have since (en masse) started to use glues that will play nicely with oil based finishes.

Totally agree with you about waterbased varnish being a royal PITA.

I think Mr Chibs is referencing the risk of oil based finishes reactivating the glue used to hold the veneer in place.

At one point some door manufacturers used to recommend waterbased finishes. I suspect that they have since (en masse) started to use glues that will play nicely with oil based finishes.

Totally agree with you about waterbased varnish being a royal PITA.
I worked out what he was saying (y)

I note that part of the sales patter is that it is "Saliva-resistant and sweatproof". How much sweat and spit ends up on the average door?
Look at doors from the closing side [if I am getting my sides correct]. You will find a lot of finger dirt underneath the handle area ... grease, sweat n' all sorts of other assorted carp. That is where the finish will be attacked, the same as banisters where finger tips touch. Just sayin...

Look at doors from the closing side [if I am getting my sides correct]. You will find a lot of finger dirt underneath the handle area ... grease, sweat n' all sorts of other assorted carp. That is where the finish will be attacked, the same as banisters where finger tips touch. Just sayin...

I have seen loads of kitchen cabinet doors where the waterbased paint has become soft near the knobs as a result of fingers touching them, however, I believe that is the result of the oils in skin rather than sweat or saliva. I'd feel more confident if the paint manufacturers tried to resolve that problem. I suspect that they can't.

Done them with Polyx Osmo Clear Matt in the end ....seemed to be far more wetter when applying than last time, maybe just me.

Look lovely now!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back