Oak worktop ruined by gasmans flux, can it be fixed?

S

snadge

we recently had our oak worktops installed, the next day the local plumber came and got his flux on it and also burned it... i got rid of the burn with sanding - anyhow i thought that was end of it but weve been putting the oil on (BEHANDLA Ikea stuff) and after 5 coats over a week or so weve noticed that this 'patch' where the FLUX was and then wiped off has left a bleach stripe in the wood with a greeny tinge to it and the outside of it - this flux bleached the dirt off copper pipes and leaves green stains if not cleaned off properly... this is how I know its from his flux, at first I though it was just a rogue block in the wood but now i dont think it is because its bleached and green and thats what his flux does and its now very noticeable as the worktop is darker with oiling... i have some pictures but they dont look anywhere near as bad on the pics due to the light/angles - you only really notice quite a lot it in natural light

is there anything I can do to repair it?

thanks

pics: see the greeny tinge to the right of it on this first pic too

34e86et.jpg

rcr30p.jpg

2i9h7dk.jpg

Sponsored Links
Flux is an acid paste, you need to neutralize with an alkali , you could try mixing a paste of baking soda and water and leave it on the stain overnight, ideally this should have been done immediately for best effect.

Flux is an acid paste, you need to neutralize with an alkali , you could try mixing a paste of baking soda and water and leave it on the stain overnight, ideally this should have been done immediately for best effect.

its been on for 2 weeks... unfortunately it wasnt really noticeable much before hand ... i did know it was there but like i say though it was just the wood... but now after oiling it shows more and ive realised thats where he got stuff on it - i asked him at the time if it stained and he said "NO" - i wiped it off and sanded it a little bit but obviously not enough... looks like im gunna have to sand the WHOLE lot down ..all 3 worktops to get it even and re-oil it... B****D

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back