Obscured side windows

m0t

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are currently having a dormer put on the side of our house and one of the conditions is that the side windows have to be obscured.

Since reading that condition I've noticed that none of the houses on either our road or the neighbouring road with the same conversion have fitted obscured glass. Two of these conversions have finished in the last 6 months.

One of the rooms is going to be a bedroom and in concerned about it being claustrophobic with obscured glass, a family member rented a flat with obscured glass in the bedroom and struggled with it.

Our road curves and the neighbours house is set back from ours quite a bit so this window would look on to an open front garden.

The window fitter suggested that we could satisfy requirements by using a film and then removing it later.

My question is what the likelihood of being caught doing this is and what the penalty would be? I'm assuming the likelihood is low as both of the recent conversions also breach the rules on height of window openings with no apparent comeback.

Sponsored Links
if others are getting away with it, then follow the window fitters advice.

You’ll need to check the wording of the condition as the majority of LPA’s specifically state film is not allowed. If you are “caught” not abiding by the condition, the LPA will ask you satisfy the condition or submit an application to vary it. If the LPA refuse the Variation application, you have the option to appeal it.

Is it an actual "condition" on a planning application or are we talking about the standard restrictions for permitted development?

Sponsored Links
Is it an actual "condition" on a planning application or are we talking about the standard restrictions for permitted development?

It's just the standard conditions but the letter from the council repeated it twice and in bold.

The main risk is if you've got a neighbour or local busy body who will report it to the planners.

My philosophy these days is it is better to seek forgiveness than ask permission. So just put windows in with clear glass and if you get caught offer to change the glass. The planners have a very dim view of film applied to glass as it can be removed.

Alternatively if you get caught apply for planning permission for the clear glazing.

One of the (admittedly few) benefits of a global pandemic is if you do decide to apply a temporary plastic film no one will be any the wiser

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back