Planning Conditions - Obscured Glass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our planning application has reached the "weekly list" stage of the process and I have read the planning officer's recommendation. She has suggested that it be approved, but one of the conditions is that the first floor window that "overlooks" our neighbour's garden, should have obscured glass.

When she visited and I asked if she had any concerns with our application, this was not mentioned. The neighbours haven't asked us to have obscured glass and did not comment to the council. (The window will be about 5m) from their garden, detached houses.

There is a house perpendicular to their garden which has a window in the side wall which overlooks the same garden- this does not have obscured glass. Have the rules changed since the houses were built (20 years).

What can I do at this stage of the process?

Sponsored Links
Stick some film on the glass when its installed and then just peel it off after a few months.
good idea, but they have specifically said this:

The first floor window in the side elevation of the two storey rear extension
facing no.(address removed) and the first floor window on the south
elevation shall be glazed using obscured glass to a minimum of level 3 of
the "Pilkington" scale of obscuration. And those windows shall remain so
glazed (Note the application of translucent film to clear glazed windows
does not satisfy the requirements of this condition).

(Reason: In order to prevent an unacceptable degree of overlooking of
nearby residential properties.)

I wonder if it is too late in the process for me to phone her and ask her why it is ok for number x to have a window overlooking and I can't![/b]

Oh dear :rolleyes:

Exactly what is going to happen if, after taking FMT's good advice, some busybody makes a complaint (which is going to be remote) and how will they know that it is film not glass?

Why not get two DG units made if you are worried, and then just swap and change as necessary

In real terms, no planner is going to be the slightest bit bothered about this, and the condition is pretty pointless

Sponsored Links
Cheers chaps. I was planning on re-using some windows anyway, with the current bathroom window being the right size and available. I may just hold it as a spare "just in case" and use some film. I think you are right, the neighbours don't seem to give a monkeys!

Woody is right the Planners aren't going to care - they don't come round at the end of the build to check that you've met the conditions. It'll only be a problem if someone mentions it to them, and it sounds like that's not going to happen.

I added two extra windows into my extension - no-one from Planning has questioned it yet!

It's common in these situations to change glass or peel off film when the dust has settled but it is incorrect to say that planners don't come around to check. All planning departments have compliance teams and they do go around checking. In fact they have to check a minimum percentage of completions in order to tick off one of their little targets they are so fond of. I'd still do the same thing but just be prepared in case you are one of the unlucky ones.

But it is highly unlikely/improbable that a council planning dept is going to spend £000's of ratepayers money in trying to enforce a condition for an obscure glass window.

At best it will be a letter request/reminder.

If the planners wanted to be jobsworths and waste some money, and OP wanted to be bloody minded, then he could let them go through the whole rigmarole of letters, meetings, reports, appeals etc, and the the OP can just swap the glass to obscure and invite a planner to confirm it ... and then leave it a while, and then swap it back and go through the whole process again.

And all for a piece of glass

It doesn't matter if the (current) neighbour didn't raise any objection. It's to protect the neighbouring property regardless of who lives there.

I'm sure you wouldn't be too happy if your neighbour proposed a similar extension and inserted a clear glazed window that overlooked your property. So the exact same condition would be applied to their proposal.

:cry:
Why don`t you just comply with the instruction? Why do you want it to be clear? what is wrong with the obscure from your point of view. Maybe don`t have a window overlooking at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back