Obtaining and replacing uPVC door-glass beading

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My door would look a little smarter if I could replace the beading round the glass, both outside and inside. It looks to me as if it will come out easily using a paint/wallpaper scraper. Will that be the case? Where can I buy replacement beading? If I succeed in finding a supplier, how can I know it will fit my door?

Sponsored Links
Your glass is held in with whats called a 'glazing cassette', basically an inner and outer that sandwich the glass unit, google search glazing cassettes and take your pick

OK, thanks for that. I now believe I've also established that the door style is Carnoustie. I haven't exactly found anyone claiming to be ready to supply parts for doors to the general consumer and I haven't so far found the manufacturer.

The door style will have many names , its a generic ' slab ' by the looks of it , Anglian call it an Exeter , Truedor it's ' Gaugin' , Doorstop a ' 2 panel 2 square' , Safe door a ' cheltenham ' and many more. Each door company though could potentially have its own ' glazing cassette ' system though , for example Hurst Doors are incredibly hard to unglaze , where as all the others i mention , it literally pops off to reveal the screws that actually hold the glass in ( usually an indent at top and bottom of moulding on the inside face of the door )

Sponsored Links
I thought I found quite a number calling it "Carnoustie". I've written to three companies and one has already said I need to go back to the original supplier. I shall need to write to the housing association from which I bought the property. The double glazing was installed seven years ago, so I don't know if they will still have the information or whether they will be inclined to search through their records if they have.

You will find many companies on line calling it the Carnoustie ... they will all be selling from the same manufacturers brochure, which i suspect is Doorco. BUT this doesn't mean it came from Doorco , it could have come from any one of many manufacturers who call it something different, these ' slabs ' are imported and then sold to trade and consumers under many different names as I said above

As you say it is 7 years old , in theory , due to the damage it may still be covered by the manufacturer , hopefully the housing association will be forthcoming with information

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back