Ocean Alpha 240p Brit Gas rip off the cheating scum

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

A friend of mine is having ongoing problems with his Ocean Alpha 240p combi boiler.

The problem initially started when he was only getting hot water in the kitchen but not in the bathroom.

System was flushed with cleaner, no difference.

Then he decided to get british gas to have a look at it. They changed the heat exchanger and temp sensor. It then worked on for a month.

However problem has now recurred but this time with intermittent hot water. So hot for 30 secs, cold for 30 sec etc.

British Gas came out again and said it needed a Powerflush, costing £700! However my friend refused to pay £700 for a damned system flush. They then turned down the temp sensor as they said it was set too high, this should then sort the problem. So:-

Brit Gas: "£700 flush?

Owner: Erm no way!

Brit Gas: oh, ok, erm...ok then lets turn down the sensor.....walaa! problem solved!

Anyway after a few days problem started again. So brit gas came out again, checked the boiler, heat exchanger etc, said it was fine, no fault on the parts they had replaced, so it must be a new fault. Therefore they will charge him a new call as its a new fault. Even though when brit gas first came out, and repalced the heat exchanger, it fits the issue....for a month.

So the fault is the water keeps changing hot-cold and doesnt give a constant flow of hot water.

Any idea on what could be causing this? And what do you make of brit gas's rip off attempts with the powerflush?

Sponsored Links
I thought you would know about BGs charges. Quite normal to me.

It does sound like a blocked secondary plate HE and knowing just how badly installed many systems are in Cov that does not surprise me.

My "friend" there probably pays someone about £100 to fit a cheap boiler for him. Thats his "going rate".

Thats what happens when some people are unemployed and working illegally on the side.

I cringe every time when he asks me to do something for him because I know that its going to be badly installed, never services and on the borderline of being dangerous.

Tony

Would Brit gas not cover the secondary Heat Exchanger with the work they originally done? I would have thought they'd have done both together.

No idea about Brig Gas charges, i tend to stay away from the big companies when it comes to plumbing/mechanics etc, they charge far too much.

Was watching the Brit National Curry Awards last night on Sky 814, MYO in coventry city centre (old fire station) was nominated for one of the awards! Couldnt believe it as their food has to be just about the worst i've ever had from a restaurant!

The secondary heat exchanger is not covered because their exclusions dont cover sludge problems. Many BG engineers will do a first repair on a plate though.

I missed that Curry award. It should have gone to the Bengal Delight in Holbrooks.

The MYO is not that bad although as they have both chinese and indian together the range is not so wide. But the food is not so bad. Its a good place to go where not everyone likes Indian or Chinese food. I dont greatly like the formica topped tables and the self service but to eat as much as I like is a big advantage.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Why do they have a secondary heat exchanger? And how would the issue be resolved? will it need the £700 Powerflush from BG or is their a cheaper way around it?

I tried MYO twice, when it first opened, food was honestly terrible, must have been left over from the night before as i'd gone in at lunch times. That was about 2 years ago. Hopefully they've improved since then and if so i wouldnt mind giving them another try!

Have the plate heat exchanger replaced or cleaned then have a system filter fitted.

Its not british gas' fault that the system is full of ****

To be honest if I had been called lying cheating scum because I have found the fault on your system and advised on the cost of a repair, I too would have turned down a stat, got out of the house and put a little note on the screen to preferably not be called back!

From previous posts i would guess Ironnaz has tried to fix this , has not got a clue and told his mate to phone BG. Anyone who posts on here know how much BG charge so why do they still come on and make a big song and dance about it.

Must admit I have never had much to do with British Gas , But I do find the O.P'S original comment , cheating & scum , to be uncalled for , the fact that you disagree with B.G or any one else for that matter does not warrant that type of comment , Brain , mouth & engage spring to mind !!

I think you may have to interpret a little local lingo here.

It would sound way over the top in sunny Bournemouth but its typical of what you often hear in Cov. This fellow with two big dogs there told me that Cov was a "bit rough", that was in the north of the City.

Oddly Cov has three bed houses in the unpopular north for £80k whereas in the south the same house would be about £240k. Its location,location,location!

Tony

Tony 'Cov' can be a little rough in places, similar to somewhere like...er 'London'!. I don't think that should mean you have carte blanche for abuse. You soft Southern S&*% ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back