Ocean Alpha 240p - No Gas?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I've just moved into a flat with a rather tired Ocean Alpha 240p boiler - It works intermittently, and for the first week or so was quite unreliable. I noticed the pressure was low so I opened the flow tap and it perked up into the green zone. I thought everything would be fine.

About a week ago, it basically gave up - the pilot light refused to stay lit and it was absolute pot luck as to whether the thing would fire up or not. 9 times out of 10, it would light for 30 seconds and crap out. 1 in 10, it would light up and stay lit.

Now there's no pilot light at all - there doesn't seem to be any gas getting into it - I've taken the front panel off and had a peek inside but I really don't have a clue what I'm doing or how I can get the gas to come back on - I've turned the little dials on the front and even used the Fonz Special - but funnily enough, banging it really hard hasn't fixed it.

It's cold in here and I'd love a nice hot shower and some central heating. Any advice gratefully received! Thanks in advance...

C.A.A.

Sponsored Links
It's probably not been serviced in umpteen years. Get a CORGI out to look at it

That's sound advice I guess, cheers. According to the landlord, this had happened before and last time it was caused by the Gas mains being off - not sure how someone would have turned my gas off, unless there's a communal cupboard somewhere that I've not spotted yet! I'll probably have to have stern words with someone about this sort of thing.

I'll have a scout around the house and see what's what.

**Well, the boiler man came round and looked at it - apparently nothing he could do so waiting for the ALPHA MAN to come and assess the situation.

Looks like it's going to be a cold, dirty winter :(

Sponsored Links
Sorry for the bump, but it's fixed now. After a thorough look over (and three service men later) it turns out it was not only a dodgy fan, but also a fried circuit board (fried by the second service man, who managed to fuse my entire flat - which somehow fixed a dodgy light switch in the process!)

I just thought I'd bump this and add to the knowledge base, before this thread disappears forever.

Cheers all! (And by all, I mean Muggles and the service men :D )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back