Odd Leak in Flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I live in a top floor of a three storey block. The chap that lives on the ground floor has a leak through his bathroom ceiling whereby it drips now and again.
He seems to think its coming from by bathroom as when we run the bath taps and basin taps at full pelt it drips slowly in his bathroom. Not all the water drips so we assume this is being drained successfully.

Whats odd is that the bloke in the middle flat has no leak, surely if the leak was coming from mine it would leak through the middle flat before going down the ground floor!? A plumber came out and checked under the bath etc for leaks but no such leaks. His only other suggestion was to remove the toilet and sink, smash the tiling to get through the temp wall to see if there is a leak there! A bit extreme!

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Hi All

* we run the bath taps and basin taps at full pelt* it drips slowly in his bathroom. !

Do that in the middle flat :idea: if it still drips - it`s the common pipework , not yours ;)

Sponsored Links

Could it be the drain rather than the water supply pipes? Maybe fill the bath, leave it for a few hours while checking for leaks. Then drain it, check for leaks.

It might also be condensation, forming on the outside of uninsulated cold pipes. When the water is not being drawn off, the water in the pipes would slowly warm up to the temperature of the surrounding air and the condensation would stop. When a cold water tap was turned on, condensation would start collecting on the pipe.

The cold pipes would have to be in a warm, very humid duct, which would suggest a leak from another pipe in the duct, maybe a drain or a hot insulated pipe on which the insulation was saturated.

The water ( drawing off after standing for some time) would be tepid and then get cold as water from the tank/mains arrived. This would be a legionella risk and the duct would need to be opened to fix and insulate. Cold water should never get above 20 degC.

I think this scenario is unlikely, but possible; I have seen it, but that one involved steam pipes with soaked insulation. I'd check the drain pipes first.

A long shot but.....Is there an overflow pipe anywhere nearby? Sometimes overflow pipes from the flat above (maybe the toilet or basin) are buried in the concrete ceiling of the flat below and appear outside. If the pipe is perished and the flat above has a fauly ball valve for instance, the water trickles down the pipe and eventually through the ceiling.

Hi All

I live in a top floor of a three storey block. The chap that lives on the ground floor has a leak through his bathroom ceiling whereby it drips now and again.

A very popular leak is when the bath taps are being run a proportion of water runs down the taps stem then through the seal between the tap and the bath then onto the floor beneath and eventually making it's way through the ceiling into the room below.
Granted a little odd that the leak is missing the the flat diretly beneath you then getting into the flat below that one.
However, once water finds a track...... worth checking out the possibillity though.
Servotech,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back