Odd noisy neighbour water problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a problem which is driving us mad!!!

Our semi-detached house originally had a mains water supply that fed through from next door at just below ceiling height into a downstairs bathroom. Previous to us moving in, this was replaced by a separate water mains (modern blue pipe) that comes in under the floor in the understair cupboard.

Now we have moved the bathroom upstairs (to create a dining room) there is a horrendous noise everytime our neighbour uses the tap. The original pipe has been stopped just as it enters our property at ceiling height but seems to create an awful noise when used by next door. When I asked the (elderly) neighbour if we could gain access to put a stopend on it, she looked shocked and said "absolutely no way".

Does anyone have any recommedations as to how to solve the noise issue? It is pretty irritating! If it was someone in our house using the tap and creating the noise it wouldn't be so bad but our neighbour has a tendency to use the tap at 6am. This morning the noise woke us up - that's at 6am on a Sunday!!! What's the law about gaining access? Would a rockwool panel help if we can't gain access? Surely it's a 30min job to drain and apply stopend? We'd obviously pay to make good...

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
Your neighbour may have a problem with water hammer. This can be caused by faulty stop taps, float valves (ball-cocks), etc, etc.

It is likely that because the pipe is built into your wall and enters your property, its transmiting the water hammer from its source, through her pipes and through your wall.

If your neighbour is obstructive, it won't be easy.

Thanks for your reply.

Would 'water hammer' involve a knocking noise? The problem we have is a 'gassy' type noise, like the tap is half on rather than full. A sort of wooshing sound rather than banging.

Think I'd first be inclined to ask her to come round and have one of her friends turn a tap on so that she can witness the noise for herself. I'd then advise her that having a deadleg within her pipework may provide legionnaires to grow and could be harmful to herself, and may be even more problematic if there's stagnant water lurking within what may be lead pipe. You're not trying to frighten her, but are pointing out that solving this problem will be to mutual advantage.

As she doesn't know your capabilities and may also want her privacy to be maintained in relation to her you as her neighbour, it may well be worth your while forking out for a plumber to come and do the work.

Sponsored Links
Thanks dextrous - that's a very good idea which I hadn't thought of. Even though I could probably manage the job, I wouldn't fiddle with other peoples plumbing so would certainly be using a plumber to do the job.

If it was a shared mains, I would certainly say access rights would be in the deeds.

Has the old dear any relatives that visit, if so catch them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back