Odd oil leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Our oil ran out as a result of a faulty remote gauge. Got the tank refilled and bled the air as I have done before using the hex head bleed bolt/pressure gauge connector. As usual, the oil pump pressure adjustment screw wasn't touched.

However, despite the boiler firing up and running as normal, there is a steady drip of oil from the pressure adjustment screw - both when the boiler is firing and when it is switched off. I've had to turn off the oil at the shut-off valve until this is resolved and it's getting a bit nippy.

The boiler is an Potterton Statesman Flowsure + and the burner unit is a Riello G5BF. The burner parts list doesn't show any seals for the pressure adjustment and I obviously don't want to unscrew it to check.

Any one have any ideas?

TIA
Marcus

Sponsored Links
Try this....put an allen key in the pressure screw - turn it one way and then exactly back to where it was. This usually seats the 'o' ring seal inside.
John :)

The seal is by an 'o' ring, if it has dried out while the pump was empty, you may have some luck if you remove the adjuster screw, and wet it, but you will need to reset pressure afterwards. Otherwise it's a new pump, which again needs resetting.

Thanks to both John (Burnerman) and oilhead for your replies. As a result of your advice, I'm nice and toasty sitting here.

Turning it out and then in again seems to have worked, and the leak has completely stopped (fingers crossed) - I'll keep an eye on it for the rest of this evening just to make sure.

It's due a service in about six weeks so I think I'll ask for the o-ring to be replaced.

Thanks very much again,
Marcus

Sponsored Links
Just the jobbie Marcus!
Funny how these things leak when you haven't touched them....happened to me on a Danfoss pump recently :eek:
The punter looks on, not believing a word :p
I think you can get 'o' ring kits for these - not sure. It should be fine anyway.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back