Odd smell outside when emptying bath or sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Every now and then, when we empty the bath or the bathroom sink we get an egg-like smell outside from the drain pipe area.

Both the bathroom and kitchen sinks go into the same drain and the smell doesn't appear when the kitchen sink is emptied.

Is there any obvious things I should do/look for.

Thanks, Mark

Sponsored Links
You obviously have some manky stuff growing in the waste pipe - it sounds like the one from the bath, but it could be that the water seal is being pulled out of the basin trap when the bath is emptied.

I'd get some of this stuff and follow the instructions on the bottle.

img_right1_19.jpg

It isn't the only product if its type, but I've found that it works well when used as per the MIs.

Sponsored Links
HANG ON!

Apologies - somehow I missed the word "outside" when reading your post.

If that's happening then I suspect you have a gully outside and that the problem is there - check this out first.

If the smell is coming from a gully then buy some caustic soda crystals instead and follow the instructions on those. Don't get the stuff in your eyes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back