Bath and sink bubbling when taps running?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone offer any advise on this?

when i run the tap on the sink in my bathroom the bath makes a gurgling sound.

when i run the bath the sink makes the same sound.

when i empty the bath or sink it makes an even bigger gurgling sound in the oppersite one.

in the bath under the drainer i can see the water is about 2 inches from the drainer.

they are both emprting out fine so not a total bloackage.

i have used mr muscle sink unblocker foam but made no difference.

my dad said water is meant to stay in the pipes to stop smells coming up from drians.

but i dont think this is right its been like it for 2 weeks now.

the bath also empties a bit slower than it used to.

any help remedies and advise will be much appreciated, thanks

Sponsored Links
It sounds like the flow of water from the bath is sucking water out of the trap on your sink and vice versa. This is caused by a vacuum being created by the water flow, you can stop this by fitting Anti-vacuum traps to you sink and bath. These allow air to be sucked in when water is flowing either at the sink end or the bath depending which is being used.
This will stop the bubbling and gurgling you'll be getting.

You should be able to fit these yourself, but it would take a plumber about an hour or so to fit and test. They come in a range of different one's to suit, just choose one nearest in size and shape to what you already have.

Hope this helps.

Gob's

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back