Odd tyres

...and they do - on rotational tyres; not asymmetric tyres.

You can if you turn them on the wheel.

How do you work that out if they have inside and outside printed on them?

That does not address the matter of the tread rotating in the other direction.

Therefore rotating in the other direction is not desirable.

I think this article explains it best and seems to agree with what I am thinking:

"Directional Tread pattern
Directional tyres will usually exhibit an arrowhead-like tread pattern which provides a very striking appearance. But there is more to directional tyres than just appealing looks. There is an obvious compromise when designing a tyre that works just as well rotating in either direction. Asymmetric tyres do just that and in some respects this limits their performance. Directional tyres are designed to rotate in a single direction and as a result they provide excellent wet weather performance and good directional stability. Because directional tyres offer excellent traction, they also perform well on snow covered roads. That’s why many winter tyres have directional tread patterns.

Whereas asymmetrical tyres can be fitted on either side of the vehicle, directional tyres can only be rotated vertically (i.e. from front to back) otherwise the tread pattern will rotate in the wrong direction when mounted on a wheel on the other side of the car. An arrow printed on the tyre sidewall will show the required direction of travel which will also match the arrowhead shaped tread pattern."

Sorry, but isn't that exactly what I just said?

Sponsored Links
Do you mean you agree with me?

Probably the other way round, but OK, yeah... whatever... :rolleyes:

However not entirely ; one example:

is incorrect.

Why? An asymmetric tyre will have "outside" written on the sidewall that is supposed to face the outside. If you put it on the (say_ left hand side of the car, it will rotate anticlockwise when the car moves forward, and you view it from the left hand side. If you then put it on the right hand side of the car, it will rotate clockwise when viewed from the right hand side of the car. That's not a problem, as long as the sidewall with "outside" written on it, is facing the outside (which it will be, regardless which side of the car it is fitted to).

A "rotational" tyre (which I've also seen called "directional"), would have to be taken off the rim and put back on the other way round, if you wanted to put it on the other side of the car, because it has to rotate the same way.

Sponsored Links
I'll take your word for it
Take the manufacturer's word for it - they know what they're doing when it comes to designing tyres. After all, they'll take your word that you know what you're doing when they contract you to replace their office lighting ..

- but the tread points in the opposite direction if on the 'other' side.
Doesn't matter. The tyre shifts X litres of water out of its way every second when barrelling down an motorway, regardless of whether it shifts the water left or right

why is it not just a straight tread at 90º to the edge?
Because, as anyone who has driven next to a land rover on a motorway will attest, that pattern makes the most horrendous booming, pounding noise as the the blocks of rubber strike the tarmac hundreds of times a second

I think a certain amount of tread pattern description conflation may be going on here. Directional tyres are typically symmetrical but symmetrical don't necessarily have to be directional. Asymmetric typically aren't directional; if they were then you'd end up needing left and right handed patterns to exist

Perhaps cut to the chase and seek info from tyre manufacturers e.g. https://www.uniroyal-tyres.com/car/service-knowledge/tread-patterns/

Last edited:
Why? An asymmetric tyre will have "outside" written on the sidewall that is supposed to face the outside.
Y - e - s .
If you put it on the (say_ left hand side of the car, it will rotate anticlockwise when the car moves forward, and you view it from the left hand side. If you then put it on the right hand side of the car, it will rotate clockwise when viewed from the right hand side of the car.
Yes, so rotating the other way.

That's not a problem, as long as the sidewall with "outside" written on it, is facing the outside (which it will be, regardless which side of the car it is fitted to).
So - not rotational, then.

A "rotational" tyre (which I've also seen called "directional"), would have to be taken off the rim and put back on the other way round, if you wanted to put it on the other side of the car, because it has to rotate the same way.
So - different than an asymmetric tyre.

Are you sure you agreed with me? :)

Y - e - s .

Yes, so rotating the other way.

Yes, quite happily, with no detrimental effects.

So - not rotational, then.

That's what I said. "Asymmetric tyres may or may not also be "rotational"." - In post #19 you told me that was incorrect...

So - different than an asymmetric tyre.

Y-e-s... ;)

Are you sure you agreed with me? :)

Well, er... obviously not the bit you told me was incorrect...:rolleyes:

Nah, I'm done lopping my personal standards down to such levels; I found it's been a good year staying away from those discussions

PS I, don't want the pressure of being barred

Sponsored Links
Back