Servicing - Industry Standards

RJT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, thanks for reading.

I had a pair of new front tyres and full wheel alignment carried out on my Renault Scenic by a local tyre fitting company

Within two months it was necessary to take the car to a servicing garage for a replacement bottom steering ball joint due to noise from the front end of the car. The were no problems with the tyre treads.

Within another two months there was excessive wear (under MOT limits) of the front tyres. I returned the car to the tyre fitters who found that the toe-in was at 14 degrees.

I have been told by the servicing garage that on changing the steering ball joint that they did not carry out any wheel tracking alignment.

The question therefore is; is it industry standard that any work being carried out of the steering/suspension should result in a check on wheel alignment being carried out before returning the vehicle to the customer.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Although frequent wheel alignment checking is desirable (if done by competent people) there shouldn't really be any need if its just the bottom joint that has been replaced - unless a pattern part was used instead of the genuine Renault one. However, should there be any work done on the track rod ends, hubs or steering rack then wheel alignment afterwards is vital.
No disrespect to fast fitting tyre outlets, but I do get my tracking done elsewhere...
John :)

• Thanks
Reactions: RJT
My reckoning is that when the tyres were replaced and tracking was done, the bottom ball joint was on it's way out. I.E. they set the tracking with a worn joint. That's what caused the tyres to wear so quickly.
When you took the vehicle to the servicing garage, how do you know there was no problem with the treads?
1. Tracking should never be done until a full steering and suspension check has been done.
2. If it was 14º out, that should have been visible to the eye.

• Thanks
Reactions: RJT
When you took the vehicle to the servicing garage, how do you know there was no problem with the treads?

There was no wear to the tyres and other than a noisy front end there were no other problems.

After I had collected the vehicle from the servicing garage the steering wheel was not 'straight' to the view whilst driving on a straight road. The car pulled to the left. And yes, although I do not know it at the time that it was 14deg out I could 'see' something was wrong. (I am not a mechanic)

Thanks for your replies

Sponsored Links
When you got the car back with the steering wheel out of alignment and pulling to the left, you should have done an about turn and gone straight back. Did you not do that?

There was no wear to the tyres and other than a noisy front end there were no other problems.

After I had collected the vehicle from the servicing garage the steering wheel was not 'straight' to the view whilst driving on a straight road. The car pulled to the left. And yes, although I do not know it at the time that it was 14deg out I could 'see' something was wrong. (I am not a mechanic)

Thanks for your replies

I smell a bit of a rat here - as the steering wheel should have been locked straight ahead when both track rods were adjusted.....14 deg out is a hell of a lot and as Stivino says should have been visible to the eye.
Maybe someone else should have a go at tracking your car....some vehicles can only be tracked when they are loaded, for example. Hope you get it sorted! John :)

When you got the car back with the steering wheel out of alignment and pulling to the left, you should have done an about turn and gone straight back. Did you not do that?

Unfortunately not, due to a great deal of other commitments

In that case it looks like everybody has to share a wee bit of the blame. Unfortunately, it's you that has to bear the financial burden.

Sponsored Links
Back