Worn front tyres

PG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently bought a well maintained Peugeot 206 with main dealer service history.

All tyres are of the same brand but I noticed that the tread on the front tyres is considerably more worn than the rear tyres.

In fact they are beginning to go bald towards the edges although I think they are still road legal.

I think this has resulted from the large number of roundabouts on fast roads in my area.

Would it be a good idea to swap the front tyres for the rear ones to save me from having to buy new tyres prematurely?

With a Vauxhall I once owned the dealer would rotate the wheels as part of a full service but my Pug dealer doesn't do this.

If I do swap the wheels over would I have to get them balanced or anything like that?

Sponsored Links
If the tyres are worn only on one edge (inner or outer), then it sounds like your car needs the 'tracking' checked. If they are bald on both edges, then they were likely to have been run with incorrect tyre pressure.

Swapping wheels doesn't require them to be re-balanced.

You can always pop into one of these 'quick fitting' places - they will tell you what's up and if the tyres are still legal. They shouldn't charge you for this.

I am not sure how much it is to get the tracking done - last time I paid about £19.99 (3 or 4 years ago). Shop around, and 'haggle' with them :D

Good luck,

Gary

national tyres are doing bogof on tyres right now so go get some new ones put on. the wearing could possibly be incorrect tyre pressures.

Sponsored Links
Back