odd waste pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have new 32mm going into slightly larger 1.25" then into something over 40mm (possibly imperial) from a basin and joining with bath waste 40mm into something slightly larger and meeting in a 2.25" plastic pipe. Most of this was from 1978.

These are all OD. What do I actually have and what can I replace? Is it OK to join a 32mm basin waste to a 40mm bath waste into a 50mm combined waste without anti-syphon traps?

The elbow for the bath waste is angled up about 45 degrees. The bath U-bend ends up rather high. It would be nice to change this to reduce the climb up into the bath (I'm changing the bath panel anyway).

Sponsored Links
I have new 32mm going into slightly larger 1.25" then into something over 40mm (possibly imperial) from a basin and joining with bath waste 40mm into something slightly larger and meeting in a 2.25" plastic pipe. Most of this was from 1978.

These are all OD. What do I actually have
A house in Sussex :idea: we need pics. ;)

we need pics. ;)
I don't know, but I suspect Virgin are blocking almost all my uploads on my 2MB connection (yes 2 not 20). I am only able to upload pics about 1% of the times I try. :(

Waste pipe is quite cheap so I would replace the lot ( and bends etc) and then you know there will be no blockages to come back to haunt you. :D

Sponsored Links
Could be that you have a mixture of push fit and solvent weld pipe. Slightly different sizes so that you can't solvent weld the push-fit pipe. Compression fittings can be used to get from one system to the other but, as Bahco says, just change the whole lot.

just change the whole lot.
How can that be easier? It is the 2.25" pipe that runs about 1.5m to the soil stack inside a service duct, where it is solvent welded to a manifold at the only accessible point. So I'd probably have to change the manifold for the waste water and then the connection above for the toilet. By this time I've probably broken the flashing around the air vent... :(

Reset my router to default settings and upload OK now :oops: Sorry Virgin Media. (That was an apology and not a statement.)

Take a piece of pipe to your plumbers merchant and ask for an adapter. Worth replacing as much as you can while you are at it. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back