Odyssey 1E to Reson8 tamper issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I have an issue wherein whenever I connect the tamper from sounder 1 (Texecom Odyssey 1E) to sounder 2 (ADE Reson8), the siren in sounder 2 makes a strained 'squealing' noise (not the normal siren sound). The panel is a Honeywell/ADE Accenta G4 Mini. The LCD RKP shows 'Tamper Fault Lockout' at the same time.

The colour codes I am using for wiring are as follows:

Sounder 1 (Odyssey)
-------------------
A = Red (12V+)
B=Blue (Bell)
C=Yellow (Tamp)
D = 0V (Neg hold off)
S=Green (Strb)
Sounder 1 (Odyssey).jpg

Sounder 2 (Reson8)
-----------------
RTN- = White
HOLD OFF+ = Red
HOLD OFF- = Green
TRIG = Black
STB- = Yellow
Sounder 2 (Reson8).jpg

Panel
--------------
T = RTN- (White)
A = Neg hold off from Sounder 1 (Black)
D = 12v+ from both sounders (Red)
B = Bell from both sounders

I have connected the tamper circuit so that the Tamp (Yellow) from the Odyssey goes to a terminal block in the panel. The negative hold off (Green) to the Reson8 is connected to the other side of the terminal block. The RTN- (White) from the Reson8 comes back to the panel in the T terminal.

Whilst troubleshooting I linked out the T and A terminals on the panel with both sounders connected as above and the fault disappeared.

I have verified that both sounders work OK as I connected them separately (as a single sounder installation) and there was no fault condition present when using either as a standalone sounder.

I have checked the tamper switches (that the lid screws keep depressed) on both sounders and they operate as they should as the circuit shows closed when using either sounder as a single sounder installation.

Might the issue lie with the Odyssey microswitch connections? (I am aware that if using two Odyssey sounders then a spare core needs to be connected to MSW1 and MSW2 on each sounder and joined back in the panel) but I was advised that it is not necessary to consider the microswitch connections when using a non-Texecom unit as sounder 2.

So I know that the fault is on the tamper circuit but I cannot isolate it. Hopefully I have just made some sort of glaring schoolboy error that someone will point out.

If anyone is able to assist me I would be very grateful.

Kind regards,

Gary

Sponsored Links
Have you tried it the other way round, you can get strange issues like this when you mix two different brands of bell box .

Thanks for your reply.

I forgot to mention that I did also try the other way round (Sounder 2's neg hold off (Green) wired to A at panel. Sounder 1's tamper return (Yellow) wired to T at panel. The RTN- (white from sounder 2) and the neg hold off (Black from sounder 1) both meeting at the terminal block.

I got the same result with the same 'squealing' from sounder 2 and the same fault indication.

Is it the odyssey making the funny noise ?
Texecom had a faulty batch of piezo sounder. Take plastic guard of piezo if glue is holding the 2 wires on top then could be the issue.
Also check voltage between + and tamper at panel .That could help with tamper fault ?
Also take voltage reading at panel when both bell boxes are sounding between bell ring and +.
Could be panel not happy with 2 bell boxes ?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply. It is the Reson8 that is making the unusual sound. I don't own a meter (yet) so can't take readings at this stage. I have had this panel running the same Reson8 sounder as sounder 2 and a Pyronix Belle as sounder 1 in the past (in the old house) and that setup worked OK. It's got me flummoxed!

Does the Reson8 sound correctly when that is the only bell box connected.
If not possible faulty sounder ?
Have you checked the cable between panel and each bell box for shorts ?

I've had an issue some years ago with a 3e connected to a cqr integra small internal sounder/ strobe in series ended up putting one on an Xp8 input instead , just a point that 1e is very old ( one jumper ) and no battery .....

it is very old, none of the bells are new by the looks of things.

however, if the wiring is right, then you have to look at your options, and what power it can handle in alarm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back