'offset' upvc door hinges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know where I can buy some 'offset' upvc door hinges?

My French door opens to 90 degrees then comes up against the wall end to which it is attached. Is it possible to get an offset hinge so that I can open it to the 180 degree position.

Sponsored Links
A pic of the current hinge leaf(s) would help identify the most suitable match, as there are so many to choose from.
Do you want brass, steel or s/s, pvc coated or other?...pinenot :)

Hi, I am looking for white Coated hinges.

The current hinges are shown in this photo:-

But as you can see in this photo :-
] , when the door opens 90 degrees it comes up against the wall.

There fore I am looking for an offset hinge that will allow the door to open 180 degrees. I know they are available for wooden doors but would like to know if they are available for upvc doors and where I might get them.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks for that, now I can say fairly confidently you'll struggle to cranks matching those, so it's now time to look at the alternatives.
Are those plastic covers on the door leaf (you can normally lever them off with a chisel or similar)
Is the wall return that the hinge cover touches when the door is opened, possibly capable of being reduced? would you consider local reduction i.e. at each hinge position?? Is the wall plasterboard or plastered to the hard???
It may be possible to get hinges to work, but I think it will required a fair bit of fine work, would this suit you???? ...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies.

The covers are alloy and the hinges steel.

The wall is solid brick/plaster.

If I cannot find an offset hinge then I think the only way to do it will be to remove the whole door and refit at the edge of the wall- a lot of work!!!!
Which is why I was looking for the offset hinges.

I'll try contacting the firm on your link first thing Monday.

Thanks Again for your help.

You'd need a hinge with the hinge pin about 4" away from the door somewhere near the corner of the plaster in order for the door to open out around the wall, in 23 years i haven't seen such a hinge for a pvc door

Hi, I have exactly same problem. Did you ever find a solution?
It seems such a common installation you would think someone would have designed a hinge with 4inch offset

Hi, Sorry, Never did find an offset hinge. I ended up removing the door frame and refitting it flush with the wall . I was then able to open the door flat against the wall.

I thought you might have done that. Not sure I am prepared for that kind of major upheaval so it might just have to keep it as is.

There is a new hinge being launched in September this year that fixes this problem. I'll update when I get information

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back