oil based egshell on ceiling!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, wondered if any can help with a bit of advice here .

got 2 newly plastered ceilings that i m asked to prime with alkayd primer then 2-3 coats of oil based egshell white ,
Hve checked with client maybe she meant water based egshell but no, she wants oil based and actually that what it was before we done the replastering due to water damage

can anyone shed light of how its done as my painterer of 10 years hasnt used this on walls before , just in the wood or metal as normally this paint is used ??

i m told primer need to be watered down with 10 percent water spirit ..and to cover everywhere as its a hell and egshell falls everywhere !!!

Sponsored Links
Standard mist coat using emulsion will do the job, make sure you have plenty of ventilation when using the eggshell. It's not as bad as it use to be but still bad enough.

Mate,thanks for reply though if you ever worked with this,can you give some tips. Some one told me I have to water down primer with 10 percent white spirit. Is that right? The egshell ,after applying it with roller,have to go back with fine brush?

No need to brush over, just roll on.

As for any tips, Roll out to a nice even coat and don't over load the roller either. keep an eye out for runs and drips, a bugger to sand back when dry.

Sponsored Links
You've GOT to use alkali resisting primer over bare plaster.

Ideally needs two of you one cutting in while the other rolls, any rolling into setting up paint will flash badly.

On your own, cut in and feather out the ceiling edge, allow to dry then roll.

Use as shorter pile roller as you can, ideally a well worn short pile.

I'd try and talk her into acrylic eggshell, its pretty old school going with OB eggshell, plus it will yellow fairly quickly too.

You've GOT to use alkali resisting primer over bare plaster.

Ideally needs two of you one cutting in while the other rolls, any rolling into setting up paint will flash badly.

On your own, cut in and feather out the ceiling edge, allow to dry then roll.

Use as shorter pile roller as you can, ideally a well worn short pile.

I'd try and talk her into acrylic eggshell, its pretty old school going with OB eggshell, plus it will yellow fairly quickly too.
why use a primer?
Agree with trying to convince her to go for acrylic eggshell.

Its oil based over bare plaster, alkaline salts in the plaster can react with alkyd paints causing saponification which is a brown soapy substance.

Its actually a very good problem solving primer, when you see people recommend OB undercoat over a stain or something this is actually a better option

Its oil based over bare plaster, alkaline salts in the plaster can react with alkyd paints causing saponification which is a brown soapy substance.

Its actually a very good problem solving primer, when you see people recommend OB undercoat over a stain or something this is actually a better option
would you do this on a previously painted surface?
I have only ever painted eggshell on painted surfaces and never experienced any problems, that's why i suggested emulsion first.

Just to add I'm not being argumentative, just after 10 years of painting myself still learning new things which I think all of us do even after many years. Had a 3 year gap from painting as well so paints have now also changed a bit so it's like re learning in some respects.

All good mate, i know your not being argumentative, its a bit old school so not a common thing these days, which is why i suggested acrylic eggy.

To be honest i'm not sure about a previously painted surface, obviously if its oil on oil you would hope to be ok. If its lets say OB eggshell over matt emulsion i think i'd put the ARP on to be on the safe side (its a long time ago i learnt all this at college)!, as it should hold back any salt bleed from the plaster even if it comes through the emulsion which you'd normally see as efflorescence. The ARP in a nutshell guards against alkaline attack.

If you need to brush up i can highly recommend this book

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Painting-De...67909&sr=1-1&keywords=painting+and+decorating

Hope that all makes sense

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back