oil based paints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The first owners of my house painted the bath room ceiling with an mustard yellow oil based paint. Keep in mind the second owners contractors (scary) painted over the ceiling with a water based white paint & primer.

My bathroom very small 5X 8'. I had replacemant windows installed. I noticed that the water based paint was pulling away form the oil based paint causing a crackling effect.

I have tried sanding but my sander keeps eating belts. I have tried products to remove the paints but I keep making a large mess.

I would just drywall over it but I limited space so I don't want to do that. Is there a good product out there I don't know about?

Help!

Sponsored Links
I have tried sanding but my sander keeps eating belts.

Something wrong with your belt sander?

Anyway, sanding it off is probably the best way to go. Get a a roll of oxide paper and a sanding pole and head and do it by hand. Either that or scrape it off with a 4" knife or a heavy duty, whichever you feel more comfortable with.

Without seeing it it's hard to say exactly what to do, but you need to get anything that is loose off and take the shine off the rest. After that I'd use a stabilising primer to get as sound a surface as possible.

You could always go down the lining paper route too...

Sponsored Links
My sander works fine! I'm using coarse grit belts but I only get about a foot done when the belt is all used up. I was hoping there was a product I haven't used that would be easier.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back