Is this door painted with oil or water based paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I need to paint this door, but have no idea if its already painted with Oil or water based paint. Is there an easy way to tell?

If its oil based can I just paint more oil based paint straight on?

And if I wanted to paint water based paint on, would I have to sand it down a lot? Or just give it a key, and then use waterbed primer?

Thanks

20220314_131557.jpg

Sponsored Links
You need to sand it down regardless of whatever paint it already is, and regardless of whatever paint you are going to use.

It doesn't take long, and it ensures a better finish and a much longer lasting result.

Be sure to prime all bare wood, and use decorators caulk in all those gaps to prevent water getting in.

You need to sand it down regardless of whatever paint it already is, and regardless of whatever paint you are going to use.

It doesn't take long, and it ensures a better finish and a much longer lasting result.

Be sure to prime all bare wood, and use decorators caulk in all those gaps to prevent water getting in.

Thanks, do you mean sand it right down back to wood, or just key it well all over?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back