Oil Based Primer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to prime an old ceiling with lime plaster,and a distemper finish.I believe an oil based primer is needed to seal the finish.can you recommend a suitable product-I have used aluminium paint to seal water marks and I guess this might be suitable here.

Sponsored Links
You need to get all the flaky stuff off first - that's far more important. Then any cheap stuff will do.

You need to get all the flaky stuff off first - that's far more important. Then any cheap stuff will do.

Cheers Joe-its not flaky so perhaps its not distemper.

I like the cheap bit you suggest :D :D :D

If it's not a peculiar grey tinted flaky paint that is like giant dandruff - then no it's not and you can use any paint over it.

Sponsored Links
The shellac based bin is good over distemper.

You can also 'turn over' distemper with a large brush instead of re-painting. Dampen the brush and make like your painting the ceiling with criss cross strokes.
A good test for distemper is to see if masking tape sticks and holds, if it doesn't then it could well be DT, also dampen a sponge and rub it and see if much paint comes off and how chalky it is but bear in mind most flat paints will also do this.

If unsure best to seal it to be on the safe side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back