Oil Boiler Fumes - Chemical Warfare !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Our neighbours have installed an external Oil Boiler in their backyard. The flue outlet is on the boiler which is situated very close to the boundary fence between our properties. (I've checked the OFTEC site and their installation does appear to comply with the outlet location bit). As our backyards are surrounded by a high wall, the fumes from their boiler seem to collect and basically the whole area stinks.

I don't want to create a big incident over this, firstly, we get on well with the neighbours, and secondly, we're considering an external oil boiler in a similar position !

Is there anyway to attach a high level flue pipe to these external boilers to take the fumes up and hopefully away, or will they just settle back down into the yard anyway.

I would like to approach the neighbours with an offer to share the cost of a high level pipe - rather than just moan about the smell.

Many thanks.

Andy

Sponsored Links
depends on boiler make/model warmflow boilers do a sq to round adapt for their range of boilers,has the boiler been set up properly by oftec reg installer?

There's a problem with these low level outputs. They are legal but the vapours have to be able to get away. This might come under environmental health if it doesn't come under building regs. They are a bit silly really, would you want to sit on your roof next to a boiler chimney? Then why chop it off and sit next to it on the ground?

You can run high level pipes, an example is K-Vent, which normally go inside a chimney, or you could use a high level balanced flue. Manufacturers will help with advice as they don't want bad things associated with their boilers. The difficulty is how do you support it?

The fumes will collect as there is a large amount of water vapour and this contains lots of tarry substances amongst other things. If you get them high enough, they'll blow away.

Sponsored Links
Just a thought....Does the Clean Air Act come into this, I'm not sure how it applies to small boilers but for larger stuff we use a nomogram to determine the minimum height required to disperse fumes. There is a different version for heavy oil, light oil, coal, gas etc. based on sulphur content and it takes into account surrounding building heights.

The Clean Air Act is enforced, I believe by Environmental Services rather than Building Control.

Anyone know any more about this that may help Do-IT-Later?

Is a condensing boiler do you know? Does it plume? Seems to me as these have a much lower exhaust temperature (I've seen one that has plastic flue!) the exhaust would be much more likely to collect. Also the plume effect would seem to be likely to trap smelly compounds.

I'm interested as I am planning a new oil fired boiler installation. I'm going to try and get it in before 1st April and the law change as I'm worried about whether I will be able to get a wall mount condensing boiler and what the effect of that will be. My boiler position sounds a little bit similar to yours. My flue will vent out of the side of my house, within the limits for a vertical surface but also pointing at next door. I don't want to plume at them :!: In my current plan with a standard boiler my flue is 2m high so is venting into free air over my side passage and their backyard (>20ft to the far wall). Flue gas should be 200C so I would expect that to be gone as soon as it exits.

see lpg is better after all

as for pluming there is a mention of a new device that can slow or even stop this happening on condencing boilers it is called a plume management kit ( glow worm ) has one so other will follow suit it may even be able to be fitted to other manufacturers flues so hope is there in one way or another

not many gas lads will be up to spec on this one i bet so do your own homework and ring your boiler maker

malc said:
Flue gas should be 200C so I would expect that to be gone as soon as it exits.

Not if it's a condensing boiler, that would be pointless. Don't bother with a condenser, you'll be wasting money for f /all benefit.

see lpg is better after all

Only if you are rich and ...........

not many gas lads will be up to spec on this one i bet so do your own homework and ring your boiler maker

Groan! another bit of junk to spend money on, why don't people engage brain?

i beg to differ.glow worms bit of kit is basiclly apush fit elbow and abit of pipe,can be run 6m,personally i try to run vertical when possible ;)

Thanks everyone, for the helpful comments.(mostly !).

Pluming - I'm not clued up on this to know exactly what it means but it suggests something which would be visible ?, and that's certainly not the case.

Mr Nice Guy - maybe I am, my neighbours are generally fine and a bit elderly. They're the type that, if I complained, would get really stressed out, probably switch the heating off and freeze to death this winter, we don't want that do we ? Seriously, I'd much rather go round there with some flue brochures and an idea of the cost rather than a copy of the clean air act and a letter from the council. Not that I don't agree that these low-levels are a potential nuisance, coz they obviously are - but I'm seriously thinking of getting a similar set up !. (our cottages are small, no room for internal boilers, no mains gas).

Install - As far as I can tell from the Oftec technical sheets, the install does seem to comply, I've measured all the relevant distances, the flue's shrouded, fence is heat protected etc. So suggest we assume it is within the regs.

Make/Model - I've looked up my "Collins Field Guide to the Boilers of Britain and Europe", and from the size, shape and distinctive green plumage, it appears to be a Grants - one of these http://www.grantuk.com/outdoor_more.htm
Will that help in pointing me in the direction of a suitable high level pipe?

Fixing - I had assumed that any flue would be run up the wall, next to the downpipe from the guttering probably - are there issue with that ?Height to eaves is about 3.5m from ground level.

lpg - have considered this, not viable for us. However, thanks Slogger for nominating yourself as my lpg expert as I have some questions for you later on that very subject. (you don't want to know how my cooker hob is connected at the moment, but as a clue, I have an old car wheel propped up next to the back door to convince passing CORGIs that we live in a big stone caravan).

In short - if anyone can point me to more specific flues/pipes, rough costs, and how much their fitter might charge them, I would be very grateful.

PS: PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN try less caffeine and getting more sleep.

Cheers.

Note I said "standard" boiler hence flue gas is 200C in my plan. It's not a condensing boiler that's why I'm putting it in before 1st April.

I tend to agree with you about condensing oil boilers. Standard WM is 85%, condensing WM, the only one listed on sedbuk is 91% so about £20 pa saving for something at least £200 more. And that boiler BTW is no longer imported and I think was a LOT more than £200 more.

Easy bit first, £200 (ish) for putting flue up wall. The boiler will need a non-standard mod to connect the flue. Technically you aren't allowed to do this as the boiler has it's sedbuk rating determned in a defined configuration, and the whole lot has to be tested. Bit of a joke as they're used at the bottom of un-measured chimneys. For the cost of the flue you'll need to speak to some suppliers, but you will need an insulated type and it will be fairly expensive.

The manufacturers will be reluctant to help as they then have potential liabilities, so you will be on your own with this one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back